Bharva Bhaingan (Stuffed Brinjal) or Stuffed Eggplants is a delectable dish made by stuffing baby brinjals with spices and cooking them for approximately 30 minutes. There are many variations to this dish such as making them as a curry with tomatoes or stuffing them with potatoes and onions. The recipe I follow makes use of spices, besan (chickpea or bengal gram flour) and crushed peanuts as stuffing. This recipe has been taught to me by a friend who makes this dish so well that it is finger licking good. This is my humble attempt to recreate it. Enjoy this Bharva Bhaingan (Stuffed Brinjal) with warm rotis!
- 1/2 cup besan (gram flour or chickpea flour)
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts,coarsely crushed
- 3-4 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 2 inch piece of ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin (jeera ) powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander (dhania) powder
- 2 small green chillies, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon carom (ajwain) seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon oil + 1 teaspoon oil
- 4-5 baby brinjals or eggplants
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Mix besan and the crushed peanuts well and microwave them in a microwave-safe bowl for 15 seconds. Set it aside.
- Meanwhile, grind the garlic cloves, ginger and green chillies to a fine paste. Add this paste to the besan – peanut mixture along with carom seeds (ajwain), sugar, turmeric, coriander and cumin powder. Add a teaspoon of oil and mix well.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a medium sized pan kept on medium heat.
- Rinse the brinjals and pat them dry. Take a brinjal and make 4 equidistant slits starting from the bottom of the brinjal towards the stem. Stop when you have reached the 3/4th mark.[ Note: Don’t slit all the way to the stem, the brinjal may fall apart]. Stuff the brinjal with the besan and peanut mixture and set it aside. Repeat this process for the remaining brinjals.
- Arrange the stuffed brinjals in the pan and stir gently to coat the brinjals with oil. Add the remaining besan-peanut mixture to the oil and toss the brinjals gently. Reduce the heat to low and cover to cook the brinjals. After every 5-6 minutes, turn the brinjal so that all sides get cooked evenly.
- Switch off heat and garnish the brinjals with chopped coriander leaves and serve with warm rotis.