We were in the mood to eat out and we stopped by a Chaat place to get our fill of Mumbai street food. While we ordered some Dahi vadas, my mom chose Corn Bhel..While our Dahi Vadas turned out well the Corn Bhel just didn’t make the cut. We were first introduced to Corn Bhel by my sister-in-law who made this delectable dish in like less than 30 minutes. It is seriously addicting and I could eat this for pretty much every meal.. After that debacle of eating out, I asked her for the recipe and quickly got the ingredients together to make this superrrrrr easy and so very YUMMY dish of Corn bhel!Print
- 1/2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups corn, cooked
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 2 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 1 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 medium sized potatoes, boiled and mashed
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves, finely cut (for garnishing)
- 1/4 cup sev
- Heat oil in a kadhai or wok on medium heat, add cumin seeds and when they begin to splutter add garlic and chili powder. When the garlic starts to slightly brown, add asafoetida (hing), corn, sugar, salt and stir well. Switch off gas.
- Add remaining ingredients – onions, tomatoes and potatoes. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Add sev right before serving.
Cooking corn: You can either microwave corn for 5-8 minutes till it is cooked or pressure cook till the vent goes off once. Let it cool completely before taking the vent out.