If you are tired of making chicken curry the same old way, try making Dhania Chicken. A “must-make” recipe for all those who are big fans of Cilantro or Coriander leaves or Dhania (as we call it in Hindi). I love the smell of Cilantro leaves. I have to garnish every curry I make with them and I will let you on a little secret – when I first started cooking, the two things that I used to fix any curry recipe would be lemon juice and coriander leaves because more often than not I would have ruined them with the excessive use of spices. Now that I know better, this recipe is not overloaded with spices, because the point is to bring out the flavor of Chicken when combined with Cilantro leaves. Enjoy it with some steamed rice or rotis!
If you fall in love with this Dhania Chicken and crave for more cilantro in your life, here is the recipe for Coriander Chutney!
- 2 pounds chicken thighs, chopped to pieces of desired size
- 3 teaspoon paprika / mild chilly powder
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 cup onions, chopped finely
- 2 cups coriander leaves,packed
- ~10 mint leaves
- 2 green chillies
- 4-5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 teaspoon garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Water as needed
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and a teaspoon of chilly powder.
- Heat oil in a kadhai or wok over medium-high heat. Add chicken and fry them on each side until browned (approximately 3-4 minutes each side). Don’t overcrowd the pan, fry them in batches. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add the chopped onion slices and fry them till they soften (approximately 10-12 minutes). Meanwhile, grind the coriander leaves, mint leaves, green chillies and garlic cloves to a fine paste.
- Add the ground paste to the onions (once the onions are done) and fry them for another 5-6 minutes. Add the yogurt, salt, garam masala and remaining chilly powder and mix well. Add water as needed to get it to the consistency you desire.
- Add the chicken back to the wok and continue cooking on medium heat till it is done (approximately 10 minutes). Cover the wok and let it simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve it with hot with roti or rice