- 2 tablespoon oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves (kadipatta) roughly 10-12 leaves
- ½ teaspoon urad dal
- 1 teaspoon cashew nuts,chopped finely
- 2 green chillies,slit lengthwise
- ½ of medium sized onion,chopped finely
- ¼ teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 cup sooji / rava (semolina)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt to taste
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves
- Heat oil in a medium sized wok and then add mustard seeds. As they begin to splutter add curry leaves, urad dal and cashews(if using). Fry them for a minute.
- Add ginger paste and onions. Fry the onion till they are translucent and then add sooji and continue frying till it turns light brown and a sweet aroma emanates from it.
- Take 2 cups hot water and add it. [ Be very careful and keep away from the gas as much as possible because there will be a lot of sputtering].
- Add salt and sugar and stir well. Lower the gas and let it simmer for another 5-10 minutes until all the water is absorbed and the sooji mixture is moist but not dry.
- Add ghee and coriander leaves and blend them in.
- Take the wok off heat and serve sooji hot either on its own or accompanies by Chutney or Sambar.
Recipe by Simmer to Slimmer at http://simmertoslimmer.com/upma/