I finally cracked it! Not the egg.. the recipe I mean. My friend M makes the most amazing egg curry and I was trying it for the first time not sure how it is going to turn out. I followed the recipe to the T and managed to get it right. So here is her secret recipe to make the most delicious egg curry ever (I hate making tall claims but this one really came out great).
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serving size: 1/4 of a recipe (8.7 ounces).
PER SERVING: 337.95 calories; Calories from Fat: 181.38g; Total Fat: 20.71g; Saturated Fat: 4.48g; Cholesterol: 303.88 mg; Sodium: 411.65mg; Potassium: 671.35mg; Total Carbs: 29.78g; Fiber: 11.01g; Sugar: 5.5g;Protein: 14.22g
- 3-4 tablespoon oil
- 8 pepper seeds
- 1 bay leaf (tej patta)
- 4 cloves (laung)
- 1 black cardamom (badi elaichi)
- 1 small cinnamon stick (dalchini)
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 and a half medium sized onions cut finely
- 2 tomatoes cut finely
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 5 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and cut into half
- ½ cup milk
- coriander leaves for garnishing
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a medium sized pan and when it turns hot add the spices (pepper seeds, cloves, bay leaf, black cardamom,cinnamon) and let them sizzle for 10-15 seconds
- Add garlic and onions and reduce the heat (medium low). Add salt. Stir it occasionally till the onions soften and start to caramelize (around 15 – 20 minutes). Note: This slow cooking brings out a sweet flavor as the sugars in the onion caramelize. Here is a step by step procedure on how to caramelize. Add tomatoes, chilli, turmeric, coriander and cumin powder and continue to fry them till they become mushy.
- Add the milk and mix well and let it simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
- Gently place the eggs in the gravy and spoon over the gravy on it.
- Take it off heat and serve hot sprinkled with coriander.
Variation : I am thinking of replacing milk with coconut milk the next time I make this to give this recipe a south indian feel.