Love to cook Indian food?
- Blendtec Blender – Totally love this blender and how would I make these awesome smoothie or this moist banana bread without it? I have actually even used it to make idli batter! The blender I bought came with a small twister jar and now I don’t use my Grinder (item listed in # 3) any more.
- Food processor – I have 2 of these– a basic one that my husband had bought for chopping during his bachelor days – Cuisinart brand and a Kitchen-aid one I bought for kneading. I use the Cuisinart one for purees and the Kitchen aid-one for say making Peanut Butter or Hazelnut butter.
- Grinder – If I had to pick one between a grinder and a food processor, I would pick a grinder. I got mine from India and the brand is called Premier. Grinder works best for making chutneys compared to a food processor.
- Lemon squeezer – if you like lemon juice as much as I do then this lemon squeezer is a must-have! I bought mine from a grocery store here for less than $10.
- Grater – There are many kinds – Zester / Box graters. I have a very simple box grater. The Zester is on my wish-list.
- Peeler – I have two types of peelers. But I like the Oxo one the best.
- Can opener – A can-opener is a must have according to me. Think about all those cans of coconut or condensed milk !
- Ice-cream scooper – for all you ice-cream lovers, an ice-cream scooper is a must!
- Toaster / Sandwich maker – You don’t really need a high-end one and you can score these for 5 bucks a piece at Walmart or Target during thanksgiving. I have a Cuisinart Sandwich maker and a Hamilton Beach toaster which have lasted close to a decade.
- Idly Stand / Idly Cooker -If you don’t want to go for an Idly Cooker, that’s fine; you could buy an Idly Stand that you can place in the cooker to get steamed idlys. I have used both but I will be honest the idlys in the Idly Cooker come out much better.
- Cookbook – if there was one cookbook I had to pick, I would pick this one – From Mom with Love. I have a very small collection of cookbooks – only 70 and counting ? and this is my favorite one.
Are you a hoarder like me 😉 or maybe you cook all the time and you need tools that will help you get things done fast. Check this list out and let me know if you have a favorite that I missed!