Gone are the days when making Gajar Halwa or Carrot Halwa took hours! The peeling of the carrots followed by grating was such a time consuming affair and imagine repeating the same process for almost 4 pounds of carrots! I am so thankful to my mom for taking all that effort so that we could enjoy this awesome sweet every other week. What was also wonderful was that when you are a kid, no matter how much sweet you eat, you never put on weight..ah.. good times!
Anyways, coming back to 2014.. a food processor in hand and a packet of peeled carrots from the supermarket, I set out to recreate my mom’s magic in under 30 minutes.. Did I succeed? Let’s find out..Print
- 4 cups grated carrot
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom (elaichi) powder
- 1/4 cup mixed chopped dry fruits (almonds, cashews, raisins) + 2 tablespoon ghee
- Heat 2 tablespoons ghee and fry the cashew nuts,almonds and raisins until golden. Set aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoons ghee on medium heat In a deep dish non stick pan and then add grated carrots and sauté them for 8-10 minutes.
- Add sugar and cardamom powder and continue to sauté till the sugar dissolves (takes around 5 minutes)
- Add milk and mix well; Continue to stir till the milk gets absorbed and the mixture is dry (takes around 10-15 minutes)
- Add the roasted nuts; mix well and serve warm.
Note: I used generous amount of ghee as you will notice, please feel free to reduce the quantity to suit your lifestyle and dieting needs.