Do you have an Instant Pot? If yes, you will love making this Indo-Chinese corn soup. All you need to do is pop the ingredients in the Instant Pot and wait patiently as this delicious corn soup cooks in 10 minutes. Don’t believe me, read on.
“Have you heard of Indo-Chinese cuisine?”, I asked my Chinese neighbor who had recently moved into the neighborhood. She said, “I have no idea what you are talking about”.
I smiled and shared with her that most of my Chinese friends were blissfully unaware of this fusion cuisine whereas when we were growing up in India in the 90’s, eating Indo-Chinese food was a popular eating out option with teens (and it still is).
So, what exactly is Indo-Chinese food?
Developed by the Chinese community who have been living in Kolkata for over a century, Indo-Chinese style of cooking adapts Chinese seasonings and cooking techniques to create a cuisine that would appeal to the Indian audience. Some of the popular dishes in this fusion cuisine are –
Amongst the soups, Indo-Chinese corn soup and the hot and sour soup are the most popular ones. If you are new to this cuisine, this easy one-pot Indo-Chinese corn soup is a good recipe to start with.
Note – Indo-Chinese corn soup should look the picture below. It has more texture to it than you see in the picture I have posted above. I pureed it a lot more than the recipe calls for just because my kids prefer a creamy texture. I have included both pictures so that you could look at the authentic version as well as get a feel of how it would look if it was completely pureed.
How to make Indo-Chinese corn soup?
This recipe comes from Kathy Hester who blogs at healthyslowcooking.com.
I first met Kathy in Mexico at a food conference and bonded with her over her immense knowledge of Indian food and Instant Pot. She shares her passion and knowledge for Instant Pot in this book – The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook for Your Instant Pot: 80 Easy and Delicious Plant-Based Recipes That You Can Make in Half the Time.
– Instant Pot pressure cooker review – Do you really need one?
– All you need to know about your Instant Pot
- 5 cups (1.2 L) vegetable broth (or water with a bouillon cube)
- 2 ½ cups (440 g) corn kernels
- 1 cup (128 g) minced carrot
- 1 cup (89 g) minced cabbage
- 1 tbsp (18 g) soy sauce
- 2 tsp (9 g) sesame oil
- 2 tsp (8 g) grated ginger 2 tsp (6 g) minced garlic
- 1½ tsp (3 g) ground cumin
- Ground pepper, to taste
- Add the broth, corn, carrot, cabbage, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, garlic and cumin to your Instant Pot.
- Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Blend about 3 cups (700 ml) of the soup to thicken and return to the soup. Taste, add pepper and reseason as needed.
Other recipes for you to try on your Instant Pot
- Indian Chickpeas curry (Chole)
- Kidney beans curry (Rajma)
- How to make yogurt in Instant Pot
- How to ferment Idli batter in Instant Pot
Before you leave, do follow me on Pinterest and pin this recipe to your board to make it in the future.
Affiliate Disclosure: I am grateful to be of service and bring you content free of charge. To do this, some of the links on this post are affiliate links, which means that I may earn a commission (at no cost to you) if you click on the link or make a purchase using the link. I only recommend products that I use and love myself, so I know you’ll be in good hands. Your support in purchasing through these links goes towards maintaining this website. Thank you!