This is the basic masala that we use at home while making any dry or wet Mangalorean curry. This is made using Byadgi chillies which are known more for its color and is less spicy. If you are using any other variety adjust the amount of chillies.
- 60 byadgi chillies (roughly 6 fistfuls)
- 6 tablespoon coriander seeds (dhania)
- 3 tablespoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1.5 tablespoon fenugreek seeds (methi)
- 1 –2 tablespoon oil
- Heat oil in a medium sized pan and at medium heat.
- Add chillies to it and roast them till an aroma emanates from it.
- Remove the chillies and keep it aside.
- Then roast remaining ingredients for a minute or till it turns aromatic.
- Transfer them to a blender along with the chillies and grind them to a fine powder. Store it in an air tight container for future use.