If I remember it right the first time I ate Thai food was when I graduated from Grad School. I fell in love with the food..especially Pad Thai and Thai Iced Tea. It was much later that I started appreciating the curries. I did not have a very clear idea on how to make this so I looked up the internet and found a few recipes but I liked this one from Martha Stewart’s website the best since it was easy to follow. As far as how it turned out and now this may sound crazy but one bite and I knew this was a little different(less sweet) but it just felt more healthier and wholesome..hard to describe it..but you will have to take my word for it. Next time around, I might add a little tamarind and see how that pans out. So here I am presenting my first ever Thai recipe for Pad Thai!
- 8 ounces dried wide, flat rice noodles
- 4 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce or Soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce (Sriracha)
- 1 tablespoon packed dark-brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon + 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 8 ounces firm tofu
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 scallions, chopped with with white and green parts separated
- 2 tablespoons roasted unsalted peanuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Salt to taste
- Cook noodles according to package instructions; drain.
- Drain the tofu,pat it dry and cut in to small pieces (see pic)
- In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice,fish sauce,chili sauce and brown sugar. Set aside
- Add 1/2 teaspoon oil to a non stick pan om medium-heat. Add eggs and salt to the pan and immediately start to scramble them into tiny pieces.Transfer the eggs to a bowl.
- Add 4 teaspoons oil to the same pan and heat. Add tofu and cook till they turn golden brown on one side.Flip them on the other side and cook till they are golden brown on both sides(approximately will take 5 minutes each side).Transfer the tofu to a plate covered with a napkin to absorb any excess oil.
- Add garlic and scallion whites to the pan and cook till they soften in 3-4 minutes.
- Add lime-juice mixture,Salt and mix well.
- Add the noodles and blend them in coating the noodles with the mixture.
- Gently mix in eggs and tofu.Take off heat.
- Top with peanuts, cilantro, and scallion greens and serve with lime wedges.