In one of my previous posts Yeti or Prawns / Shrimp Ajadina , I posted a link which highlighted the difference between Shrimp and Prawn. This recipe can be made using either. I made this a long time ago and didn’t get a chance to post it and it is almost lunch time and as I am typing this it is making me really hungry 🙂
Typically, I like to eat every two hours since I usually can’t eat much in one go but when it comes to seafood and anything sweet..things change..It is as if a special compartment pops up in my stomach and makes way for delectable dishes like Shrimp / Prawn Biryani. This recipe of Shrimp or Prawns Biryani is a very simple fail proof one. When my mom makes Prawns biryani, she layers the shrimp with the rice in a medium sized pan (instead of mixing them like I do) and adds a few tablespoons of milk to keep it moist and simmers it for 5-10 minutes with the cover on.
This recipe has been adapted from Sanjeev Kapoor’s book – Rice, Biryani and PulaoPrint
A simple and easy to follow recipe for Shrimp / Prawns pulao.
- 2 cups rice
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 4-5 cloves
- 6-8 pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium sized onions finely cut
- 4 garlic cloves crushed into a paste
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 green chillies slit lengthwise
- 2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 pound shrimp / prawns peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoon yogurt
- 1/4 cup coconut milk [optional]
- 2 teaspoon garam masala
- coriander for garnishing
- salt to taste
- Cook the rice with twice the amount of water and salt (1/4 tsp) till it is 3/4th done. [ Note: I make my rice in the microwave. Normally I keep it for 16 minutes but when I am making rice for pulao I keep it for around 14 minutes]. Then I let it cool.
- In a medium sized kadhai or wok add 2 tablespoons of oil and keep it on medium heat. Add peppers,cloves and bay leaves and when they sizzle (after 10-15 seconds) add onions and garlic. Fry them till the onions turn translucent.
- Add tomatoes and continue frying till they turn mushy.
- Add the green chillies,red chilli powder,salt,turmeric powder and shrimp/prawns and mix well.
- Whisk the yogurt well and mix it with the coconut milk (if you are using it) and add it to the kadhai / wok.
- Continue to keep it on medium heat till the shrimp / prawns are done.At this point the gravy should run thick.
- Add garam masala and mix well .
- Add the rice to the kadhai and carefully fold it in and simmer it for 5 minutes covering the kadhai before taking it off heat.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves and serve hot with raita.