In my view, you need three things to get a Waffle right – a good recipe, the right Waffle iron and a little bit of patience. You need patience because with most waffle irons, you need to use it for a few times before it starts browning your waffle evenly. Didn’t get it right the first time? Hang in there..with a few tries you should be all set. Make sure to follow the manufacturer’s directions to the T, I ruined my first waffle iron by using cooking spray because I didn’t read through the instructions – ugh!.
After a recent trip to Boyne mountain, I fell in love with Waffles again and decided to buy a new waffle iron and end up with Hamilton Beach Waffle Iron after I found out that I could remove the grill plates for cleaning plus the review were great! So far so good and I love it. Now that I have shared with you the details around the Waffle Iron I use, here’s the recipe. I adapted this recipe from AllRecipes.com and made a few changes such as replaced half of the all the purpose flour with whole wheat flour and increased the amount of sugar slightly. I wasn’t sure how the recipe would turn out after adding whole wheat flour to the mix, but to be honest, I didn’t notice the difference and maybe next time, who knows I will be brave enough to make waffles with only whole wheat flour. For now, here’s the recipe for some yummy Belgian Waffles – serve warm with whipped cream and maple syrup (make sure you buy the pure organic one with no cane sugar – you will notice the difference in taste immediately)
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- Special Equipment: Waffle Iron
- Heat the waffle iron according to the manufacturer's directions.
- Whisk the eggs till it is light and fluffy using a stand in mixer or a hand beater.Add in the remaining ingredients and continue to whisk them till they are combined.
- Lightly coat the waffle iron with cooking spray. Using a ladle, pour the recommended amount of waffle batter onto the iron according to the manufacturer's recommendations. Close the iron and cook until the waffle is golden brown on both sides.
- Serve immediately with maple syrup or whipped cream or a topping of your choice.