Beans poriyal is a South-Indian way of stir frying green beans with a minimal amount of spices and freshly grated coconut. For those who like their vegetables with a bit of crunch, you’ve to check out this recipe on how to make Beans poriyal in an Instant Pot.
- 4 cups finely chopped green beans, frozen or fresh
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 sprig of curry leaves (kadipatta)
- 2 green chilies, slit lengthwise
- 1/4 cup finely cut onions (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder (optional)
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated coconut (optional)
- If you are using fresh beans then rinse and drain them after chopping. Set it aside.
- Add oil to the steel insert of the Instant Pot and press the Saute function. Press the Adjust button to move the selection to “Normal” and wait till the display reads “Hot.” Add mustard seeds and when they start spluttering, add kadipatta and green chilies. Let it fry for around 20 seconds and then add chopped onions along with garlic. Fry them till they have softened (approximately 5-6 minutes). Add chopped beans, turmeric powder(if using), and salt. Give it a stir. If using fresh beans, add 2 tablespoons of water. You don’t need to add water for frozen beans. Add grated coconut.
- Press cancel and cover the lid, keep the vent in the sealing position and pressure cook on high for 0 minutes. When the Instant Pot beeps, release pressure by moving the vent carefully to the venting position. Remove the lid and mix well.
- Serve hot with steamed rice and curry.