Note: This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chicken kababs make a nice accompaniment with rice/naan or can be a meal in itself. Squeeze lemon juice on the kababs before serving to give them a nice tang.
Chicken seekh kabab is made of minced chicken mixed with spices and grilled on skewers typically inside a tandoor but an oven will do just fine. I had the best kababs in an Indian restaurant in Michigan and had tried once before to recreate it but couldn’t quite match the taste. I gave up on kabab’s till my BFF sent me this recipe she made for a potluck and she insisted I try it..Finally, after a year, I got around to making this and they came out so well that I almost wanted to kick myself for not trying it sooner. I made a few small changes to accommodate the audience at home who don’t like eggs so I didn’t use them for binding, instead, I used breadcrumbs.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Wait time: 2 hours
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Serving size: 1/6 of a recipe (7.1 ounces).
PER SERVING: 383.5 calories; Calories from Fat: 133.59g; Total Fat: 14.34g; Saturated Fat: 3.83g; Cholesterol: 142.16mg; Sodium: 400.49mg; Potassium: 132.08mg; Total Carbs: 13.06g; Fiber: 1.19g; Sugar: 2.29g;Protein: 48.13g
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- 1 egg (optional) or 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- salt to taste
- juice from 1/2 lemon
To be ground to a paste
- 3-4 green chilies
- 1/2 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 3 tablespoon coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, ground to a fine powder (optional)
Equipment: Oven (preheated at 400 F) and Skewers (3-4)
- Grind all the ingredients into a smooth paste and mix it with the ground chicken.
- Add 1 egg or 1/2 cup breadcrumbs and butter/oil to the paste and mix well. Refrigerate the marinated chicken for about 2 hours (if possible). Note: I was in a hurry so I didn’t refrigerate the paste and it came out okay.
- Put the chicken paste on the skewers and arrange on a greased baking sheet in an oven preheated at 400 F. [Add more bread crumbs as needed to bind the chicken to the skewers]
- Let it cook for about 10-15 minutes.
- When done broil for about 2 minutes till they turn brown. Serve with raw onion rings and lemon wedges.
- If you are having trouble with the chicken not adhering to the skewers do this – shape the chicken in the shape of the rod on the greased baking sheet and then insert the skewers through it and carefully place the sheet in the oven.