When I was in grad school, money was tight and there were only few restaurants that I could afford to frequent and one of them was Chipotle. I loved their Burritos and Fajitas since they were so filling but was bummed that they would charge extra for Guacamole – the creamy spread made from Avocados. More often than not, I would have to skip adding it to my Burrito but when I did, it felt like a King’s meal. Fast forward, a decade later – I usually get this spread from Costco but I decided to make it at home this time. When I tried to look up the recipe on the internet, I found one on the Chipotle website and decided that was it! No more searching. This time I cannot say adapted from so and so website – simply because I did not want mess with the original. I did not have jalapeno peppers so I substituted it for thai peppers with the same result. If you follow the recipe, you will realize it is such a simple one and I can’t believe I waited a decade to make this at home. Better late than never! 🙂
To give it a different spin, I would recommend adding a clove of garlic, finely crushed and finely cut tomatoes, after they are seeded. Enjoy with some tortilla chips or as a creamy spread to your sandwich!
- 2 ripe hass avocados should feel squishy, yet firm
- 2 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 Indian or Thai green chilies (Bird's eye) finely chopped
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup onions finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon Cilantro / Coriander leaves finely chopped
- Slice the avocados in half and remove and discard the seed. Use a spoon to scoop out the flesh and place it in a bowl. Add lime juice and salt and use a fork or a blender to mash the flesh to a smooth consistency.
- Add the remaining ingredients - chopped onions, peppers and cilantro and blend them in.
- Adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve with tortilla chips or use as a creamy spread for your sandwiches.
Disclosure: This recipe contains affiliate links to products we love and recommend. As an affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Disclaimer: Approximate Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and can vary depending on the exact ingredients/brands used. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist.