Instant Pot Egg Biryani is this delightful combination of fragrant Basmati rice cooked with spices and then interlaced with spiced, boiled eggs. Learn how to make this flavorful biryani in a pressure cooker in half the time.
Spiced egg ingredients
- 6-7 medium-sized Happy Eggs
- 1 teaspoon oil
- a pinch of garam masala
- a pinch of red chili powder
- 2 cups basmati rice, soaked in water for 20-30 minutes
- 1/4 cup olive oil or ghee
- 4-5 cloves
- 6-8 black peppercorns
- 2 pods green cardamom
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-inch piece cinnamon stick
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 4 garlic cloves crushed into a paste
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2 green chilies, slit lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1/4 cup coconut milk [optional]
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
- chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
Instructions to make eggs
- Add water in the steel insert of the Instant Pot. Place the trivet inside the steel insert and carefully place Happy Eggs.
- Close the lid and select pressure cook and set the pressure to high. Adjust the time until it reads 5 minutes. Set the vent at sealing position.
- Once the cooking is done, wait for 5 minutes before carefully releasing pressure. Open the Instant Pot and take the eggs out and place them in an ice-bath. Leave them in for 5 minutes before starting to peel them. Tip – Always start by cracking the bottom of the egg, it makes it easier to peel.
- Halve the eggs along the long edge. Add a teaspoon of oil to a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the eggs, sprinkle them with a mixture of garam masala, salt, and chili powder. Cook both sides till they turn golden brown. Remove and set them aside.
- Add oil to the steel insert of the Instant Pot and press the Sauté function. Press the Adjust button to move the selection to “Normal” and wait till the display reads “Hot.” and add peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, and bay leaves and when they sizzle (after 10-15 seconds) add onions. Fry the onions till they turn soft and translucent (approximately 5 minutes).
- Add garlic and sauté it with the onions for a minute or so. Add tomatoes and continue frying till they turn mushy. Add the green chilies, red chili powder, and salt and mix well.
- Whisk the yogurt well, add garam masala and coconut milk (if you are using it) and give it a good stir. Add this mixture to the Instant Pot. Do a taste test – the salt should slightly be on the higher side.
- Drain the water from the soaked rice and add the rice and just enough water (approximately 1-1/4 cup) to completely submerge the rice.
- Press “Warm / Cancel” button and then select “Pressure Cook.” Adjust the time to 5 minutes and set the pressure selection at low. Cover the Instant Pot lid and lock it. Make sure the vent is at sealing position. Once the cooking cycle completes, the Instant Pot will switch to the Warm cycle. Press the Warm/Cancel button and carefully release pressure. Open the lid and let the steam escape. Add a tablespoon of ghee and wait for 5 minutes. Add the spiced, boiled eggs and gently interlace the rice and eggs together. Cover and let the flavors meld in for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and gently mix before serving.
- Serve hot with raita or yogurt
Keywords: Instant Pot egg biryani, Anda biryani, Egg biryani