The last time I made Macaroni and Cheese, I followed an elaborate recipe – cooked, baked, used 2 different cheeses but it didn’t pass my daughter’s muster. When she ate the first bite, she said ‘ Umm.. I like it mom but I like the Orange colored Macaroni and Cheese better’. She was referring to the store bought Mac and Cheese box which comes with an orange colored cheese powder..SIGH.. This was a year ago. Yesterday, I decided to make it again but not follow any particular recipe. The goal was to make it easy to prepare this dish in a jiffy and with just a few ingredients. When I made it this time, my daughter was surprised that it got done so quickly. She rushed to taste it but didn’t say anything this time except giving me a thumbs up between bites.
Macaroni and Cheese
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1/4 teaspoon oil
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 3/4 th cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt to taste
- Add oil to a pot of boiling salted water. Add the macaroni and cook according to the directions in the package. (This took the longest time for me - around 15-20 minutes. Keep checking every couple of minutes past the 10 minute mark. You don't want your macaroni mushed from over cooking.)
- In a wok, melt butter and add the flour and over medium heat, stir it for 5 minutes. Add milk and cook it for 2-3 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Turn off the gas. Add cheese,salt and pepper and mix well.
- Add the cooked macaroni and stir well.
- Serve hot and garnished it with cheese.
Disclaimer: Approximate Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and can vary depending on the exact ingredients/brands used. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist.