Patta Gobhi or Cabbage was definitely not my favorite subzis growing up. I liked only pulses and refused to touch anything else! Moving to US and being on my own changed everything for me. Being hard pressed for time between assignments, tests and work any subzi that could be made quickly seemed delectable.This version of Cabbage though very different from how it is made by mom is very satisfying and goes well with Rotis.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Serving size: 1/5 of a recipe (3.9 ounces).
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.
PER SERVING: 69.9 calories; Calories from Fat: 26.63; Total Fat: 3.03g; Saturated Fat: 0.44g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 243.63mg; Potassium: 294.66mg; Total Carbs: 10.18g; Fiber: 2.32g; Sugar: 2.66g;Protein: 1.59g
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 small tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 small potatoes, boiled and diced
- 1/2 head of medium sized cabbage, finely cut
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder (chilli powder)
- Heat oil in a pan and add jeera to it. When the jeera starts to brown add onions and fry till they are translucent.
- Add tomatoes and fry them till they get mushy (after 3-4 minutes).
- Add potatoes and let them fry for 4-5 minutes.
- Then add the cut cabbage,salt,turmeric and cayenne/chilli powder and mix well.
- Reduce heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally and it is done.