We had some left over Pineapple lying around in the fridge and since it wasn’t particularly sweet, it wasn’t appealing to the audience at home. I didn’t want to throw it out and I had a few options – Pineapple Lassi or Pineapple Raita. Both of these options did not evoke any interest so I had to look for another. The only other recipe that came to my mind was Pineapple Menaskai – Pineapple cooked in coconut curry..gosh the very thought of it makes me salivate. Unfortunately, it was a long day and I didn’t have the energy nor time to go the whole nine yards and make a curry so I came up with something very similar in taste but instead of a gravy it is a side dish or a subzi – my very own version of Pineapple Bhaji..Ta-Da!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 8-10 curry leaves Kadhi patta
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3-4 dried chilies
- 2 cups pineapple chopped
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- a pinch of asafoetida
- 2 tablespoon tamarind juice if using paste, use only 1 teaspoon
- ¼ cup powdered jaggery adjust according to taste
- ¼ cup grated coconut
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander-cumin powder
- ¼ cup water
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat. Add mustard seeds and when they begin to splutter, add curry leaves,dry red chillies and asafoetida. Let them fry for 10-15 seconds and then add the pineapple pieces and stir it in.
- Add chili powder, turmeric powder, tamarind juice, salt, jaggery, water and mix well.
- Cover the pan and cook for 7-8 minutes till all the water is absorbed.
- Add the coriander-cumin powder and chili powder to the grated coconut and mix well. Add this mixture to the Pineapple in the pan and blend it in.Reduce heat to Low and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with curry and rice.
Disclosure: This recipe contains affiliate links to products we love and recommend. As an affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Disclaimer: Approximate Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and can vary depending on the exact ingredients/brands used. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist.