I am always on the lookout of introducing more variety in my older munchkin’s breakfast in the hopes that one she will one day find her favorite one! Breakfast is definitely not her favorite meal..I know she will be truly ecstatic if we tell her you don’t have to eat your breakfast today but that is not happening anytime soon. One of my friends told me her kid loves Sweet Cheela and gave me the recipe to try it out for T. It was a big hit with me but she was not too excited about it! So the next time, I tried I decided to turn them into pancakes by adding baking soda and baking powder and it was an instant hit! This recipe almost tastes like Puran Poli and it is simple enough that it can be made during busy weekdays too! So here’s the recipe for both – Sweet Cheela as well as Whole Wheat pancakes.
Sweet Cheela / Whole Wheat Pancakes
- Whisk all the ingredients (except oil) well to remove any lumps.The resulting batter will be of the consistency of pancake batter.
- Over medium-high heat, add a teaspoon of oil to a shallow frying pan.
- Pour a ladle of the batter on the pan and let it spread on its own.
- The pancake will now start to rise and bubbles will form. Wait till the bubbles start to burst (around 1 - 2 minutes) and that's the cue to flip it over and cook the other side (1 - 2 minutes more) (Note: It will only bubble over if you use baking soda and powder - if not using cook it like a regular roti and when you see the color change indicating it is cooked, flip it over)
- Serve hot with a sliver of butter.
- Makes 6 -7 pancakes
Disclosure: This recipe contains affiliate links to products we love and recommend. As an affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Disclaimer: Approximate Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and can vary depending on the exact ingredients/brands used. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist.