A few years ago at a Thanksgiving potluck, a colleague from work brought Vegetarian pulao. It was a huge hit with everyone and I pestered my colleague to share the recipe. He didn’t know the exact recipe since his wife had done the cooking but he shared what he knew. I used that and combined it with what my taste buds told me and recreated this simple recipe. If you don’t know how to cook and are just getting started, this recipe is for you.
Vegetarian Pulao Recipe
- 2 cups mixed vegetables, chopped (peas, carrots, beans – take your pick.)
- 2 cups rice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, red chili powder
- 2 teaspoon oil or ghee
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds, jeera
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cashews, optional
- 1 teaspoon raisins, optional
- salt to taste
- Steam the vegetables in a cup of water using a microwave for 8 minutes or until done.
- Cook rice in 2 cups of water for 16 minutes in a microwave at the highest setting.
- In a wok on medium heat, add oil or ghee and when hot add cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds start to crackle add raisins and cashews. Fry them for 30 seconds and then add the steamed vegetables,garam masala, cayenne pepper, turmeric powder, sugar, salt and mix them well.
- Add the cooked rice spoonfuls at a time and gently stir them in without mushing the rice.
- Take off heat and Serve hot. Tastes great at room temperature as well.
Approximate Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and can vary depending on the exact ingredients/brands used. I am not a registered dietician or nutritionist.