Rasam is a lentil based curry full of tang and flavor. Drink it as a soup or serve it rice - you'll enjoy it either way.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons moong dal or tuvar dal
- 1 medium sized tomato diced
- 1/4 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoon rasam powder I prefer the MTR brand
- 2 green chilies slit lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons powdered jaggery
- 2 cups water
- salt to taste
- finely chopped cilantro / coriander leaves for garnishing
- For the tempering / tadka
- 1/2 tsp ghee
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 sprig of curry leaves or kadipatta kadipatta
- 3-4 cloves crushed garlic
- 1/2 tsp urad dal rinsed
- a pinch of asafetida hing
In a pressure cooker add dal, diced tomatoes, tamarind paste, turmeric powder, jaggery, rasam powder and 2 cups of water on medium heat and cook till the dal gets done (in my case I wait for the vent/whistle to go off 3-4 times to make sure the dal is cooked).
Take it off heat and let the cooker cool down before you open the cover.
Meanwhile, get your tempering / tadka ready.
Heat the kadhai/wok on medium heat and add ghee. When hot, add mustard seeds and when they start spluttering add the rest of the ingredients and let it simmer for 10 seconds.
Add the boiled dal mixture to the tadka in the kadhai and mix well. Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice
Calories: 79kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 86mg | Potassium: 82mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 270IU | Vitamin C: 12.6mg | Calcium: 14mg | Iron: 0.6mg