Turai / Turiya / Peerey Bhaji
This quick and easy Turai recipe is a keeper. It takes only a few ingredients and steps and yet yields a delicious and satisfying side dish.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 1-2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 sprig of curry leaves or kadipatta kadipatta
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1/2 of a small onion peeled and chopped
- 2 green chili peppers chopped
- salt to taste
- 2 Turiya / Ridge gourd chopped into 1/2 inch cubes Clean it well before you cut it
- 2 tablespoon grated coconut optional
Heat a tablespoon of oil in a wok. To it add mustard seeds and as they begin to splutter add curry leaves and garlic.
After 10 seconds or so add onions, green chilies, and salt. Fry it till onions turn translucent.
Add Turiya and let it cook covered for 10 minutes until it is done. ( Note: You don’t need to add water while cooking this vegetable. It releases water on its own).
Garnish it with grated coconut (if using).
Calories: 59kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 4mg | Potassium: 34mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin C: 6.5mg | Calcium: 6mg | Iron: 0.1mg