Bharva Bhaingan (Stuffed Brinjal) Recipe
Not a fan of eggplant/brinjal? Try Bharva Bhaingan - a stuffed eggplant dish and you might just change your mind.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 1/2 cup besan / chickpea flour gram flour or chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts coarsely crushed
- 3-4 garlic cloves chopped finely
- 2- inch piece of ginger grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin jeera powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander dhania powder
- 2 Indian or Thai green chilies (Bird's eye) finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon carom ajwain seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon oil + 1 teaspoon oil
- 6 baby brinjals or eggplants
- finely chopped cilantro / coriander leaves for garnishing
Mix besan and the crushed peanuts well and microwave them in a microwave-safe bowl for 15 seconds. Set it aside.
Meanwhile, grind the garlic cloves, ginger and green chilies to a fine paste. Add this paste to the besan - peanut mixture along with carom seeds (ajwain), sugar, turmeric, coriander and cumin powder. Add a teaspoon of oil and mix well.
Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a medium-sized pan kept on medium heat.
Rinse the brinjals and pat them dry. Take a brinjal and make 4 equidistant slits starting from the bottom of the brinjal towards the stem. Stop when you have reached the 3/4th mark.[ Note: Don't slit all the way to the stem, the brinjal may fall apart].
Stuff the brinjal with the besan and peanut mixture and set it aside. Repeat this process for the remaining brinjals.
Arrange the stuffed brinjals in the pan and stir gently to coat the brinjals with oil. Add the remaining besan-peanut mixture to the oil and toss the brinjals gently.
Reduce the heat to low and cover to cook the brinjals. After every 5-6 minutes, turn the brinjal so that all sides get cooked evenly. This step takes about 20-25 minutes.
Switch off heat and garnish the brinjals with chopped coriander leaves and serve with warm rotis.
Calories: 558kcal | Carbohydrates: 69g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 265mg | Potassium: 2013mg | Fiber: 27g | Sugar: 30g | Vitamin A: 155IU | Vitamin C: 21.7mg | Calcium: 110mg | Iron: 4.3mg