Stir-fried Okra and onions (Bhindi do pyaza)
Bhindi-do-pyaza or stir-fried okra with onions combines okra with twice the amount of onions and a few spices to create a delectable dish that is a hot favorite with okra lovers. This caramelized onion and okra dish takes all of 20 minutes to cook and goes well with rotis and dal.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 4-5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon carom seeds ajwain
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds jeera
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 5 cups chopped onions
- salt as needed
- 1 lb okra/lady's fingers/bhindi cut lengthwise
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- cilantro leaves for garnishing.
Add oil to a large wok kept over medium heat, and once it heats up, add cumin and carom seeds. When they start to sizzle, add turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and chili powder. Stir them in the oil and let them cook for 5-10 seconds. Add onions along with salt and mix well.
Add okra and mix well.
Continue to cook without covering for about 15-20 minutes (see note). Stir occasionally to ensure consistent cooking. Once the okra has cooked to the desired level of doneness, add lime juice and sugar. Mix well and garnish with chopped cilantro leaves.
Serve it hot accompanied by rice/roti and dal.
- Always pat dry the okra after rinsing them. Air dry overnight if possible. This keeps the okra from getting slimy while cooking.
- You don't have to wait for the onions to soften before adding okra. They cook and soften together.
- Do not cover the wok while cooking okra - the water from the lid will drop on to the okra making it slimy.
- We like our okra or bhindi sabzi really soft, you could reduce the cooking time accordingly to get the desired level of crispiness in your final dish.
Calories: 179kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 18mg | Potassium: 448mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 640IU | Vitamin C: 28.8mg | Calcium: 101mg | Iron: 1.5mg