Indian Inspired Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Flavored with cumin and coriander powder and garnished with coriander leaves, this flavorful Indian inspired chicken lettuce wrap recipe will have you clamoring for seconds. The good thing is you can make it in under 20 minutes.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or sesame oil
- 1 pound ground chicken [see note]
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 1-2 green chilies finely chopped [optional]
- 1 tablespoon peeled and grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- salt as needed [see note]
For the sauce
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chili-garlic sauce Sriracha
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup unsalted roasted peanuts
- 1 head butter lettuce Bibb or Boston
Cook the meat - Add oil to a wok kept over medium heat. Add the ground chicken and using a spatula break it down into small pieces as it cooks. Continue to cook until the meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
Prepare the sauce - Add all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and whisk them together.
Add the remaining ingredients - Add the sauce, onions, ginger, garlic, green onions, green chilies along with coriander and cumin powder.
Cook till the onions have softened and turned translucent, and all the liquid has been absorbed - will take about 4 to 5 minutes. Do a taste test and salt if needed.
The finishing touch - Squeeze lemon juice over the ground chicken and add coriander leaves. Mix well.
Serve - Gently separate the leaves from the lettuce. To serve, place spoonfuls of the chicken mixture in the center of a lettuce leaf. Enjoy immediately.
- Make sure you use organic ground chicken made from 100% breast meat such as Bell and Evan’s ground chicken from Whole Foods. This ensures that bones are not added to your ground chicken.
- Feel free to substitute chicken with tofu or cottage cheese (paneer)
- I don't add salt because soy sauce already contains sodium.
Calories: 427kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 128mg | Sodium: 1595mg | Potassium: 818mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 1900IU | Vitamin C: 7.4mg | Calcium: 48mg | Iron: 2.3mg