Sheera / Suji Halwa (Semolina Pudding)
Crumbly, sweet, and delicious - that's how you would describe Sheera also known as Suji ka halwa. Learn to make this simple and traditional dessert in less than 30 minutes.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
- 3/4 cup ghee
- 1/4 cup dry fruits halved cashews, almonds, raisins
- 1.5 cups fine semolina suji
- 2 cups milk or water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom seeds ground
Fry dry fruits: In a wok or kadhai, add ghee over medium heat and once it is hot, fry the dry fruits till they are golden brown.
Roast sooji: Add sooji and roast it for about 10-12 minutes till it is evenly brown and fragrant.
Boil milk/water: In a saucepan, add water or milk and let it come to a boil.
Add milk/water: Carefully pour the water into the sooji mixture and stir it in. Let the halwa cook for a couple of minutes.
Add sugar: Add sugar along with cardamom and continue to cook till the sugar has melted and absorbed.
- Use fine semolina for best results.
- You can substitute milk with water for increased shelf life
- Tastes great the next day as well. Store in the refrigerator for not more than 2-3 days.
Calories: 556kcal | Carbohydrates: 69g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 66mg | Sodium: 37mg | Potassium: 220mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 38g | Vitamin A: 130IU | Calcium: 101mg | Iron: 2.2mg