Eureka!! Eureka!! After a lot of experimenting I think I may have just found the recipe of pav bhaji…Pav bhaji has always been my favorite..I used to come back from college and ask mom what’s for dinner? She would say "Pav Bhaji" and I would be like "I am famished" and then it would be something else and suddenly I would feel a huge loss of appetite..not to mention the disappointment. I can eat Pav Bhaji on a full stomach that is how much I LOVE it there is always a special place in my stomach and my heart for it. So imagine my excitement when I say I have found THE perfect recipe for Pav Bhaji .This is one of my favorite foods..I have tried so many different versions..it is not funny..but just couldn’t get it close to the one we find back in Mumbai..I wish I had taken better pictures though.I was so hungry that I wanted the photo session to get over asap 🙂 Will take better pictures next time and update this post.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Nutrition Facts – Some recipes are to be enjoyed without worrying about nutritional facts.Don’t eat this everyday but once in a while sab chalta hain 🙂
3 medium sized potatoes cubed
1 cup cauliflower florets (frozen will work)
1 cup peas (frozen will work)
1/2 capsicum / green bell pepper cut into small pieces
a pinch of asafetida (hing)
1 large size onion cut finely
4 cloves of garlic crushed
1/4 teaspoon ginger
3 small tomatoes or 2 medium sized ones
2 teaspoon chilli powder
2 tablespoon pav bhaji masala ( I use MDH pav bhaji masala)
3 teaspoon paprika
salt to taste
lemon wedges,finely cut onions and coriander leaves for garnishing
1 tablespoon butter
- Put all the veggies[potatoes,capsicum,peas,cauliflower] in a cooker on medium heat with roughly 1.5 cups of water,salt and chilli powder. Shut the cooker and let them boil [ I wait till the vent goes off 4 times before I switch off the gas]. Take the cooker off the heat.
- Once the vegetables are boiled, mash them using a hand mixer.
- In a medium sized pan, heat oil, add asafetida and then add onions,garlic and ginger and fry them till they are translucent. Add tomatoes and continue frying them till they mushy.Add pav bhaji masala and mix well. Take it off heat.
- Add the tomatoes and onion mixture to the mashed veggies in the cooker and mix well and put it back on medium heat.
- Add paprika and butter to the bhaji and mix well. [Add more chili powder,salt,pav bhaji masala and paprika as needed].
- Simmer the bhaji for 5 minutes and turn off the gas.
- When you are ready to eat squeeze some lemon juice over the bhaji and add onions and coriander and pair it with pav (bread) slightly roasted with butter.
Story in pictures
All the veggies ready to be boiled with salt and chilli.Fry the onions along with garlic and ginger till they are translucent. Add tomatoes and when they get mushy add pav bhaji masala.
Mash the veggies using a hand blender and add the tomato-onion mushy mixture to it along with paprika and butter. Simmer for some time (adjust seasonings – paprika,chilli and salt as needed) and switch off the gas. Get your garnishings ready because bhaji is ready to be served.