I can make Puran Poli! I would like to shout that from rooftops(not really;-) ) I am thrilled that I could make it and in the process realized it is really easy to make Puran Poli or Holige as we call in Mangalore. Every time we go to India, we eat and get tons of Puran Poli for our trip back home…and oh boy..let me tell you it is not a pretty sight when we run of stock..But that’s the scene of the past.. Now I can make Puran Poli any time I want..and just like that .. I became my biggest fan..LOL.. just kidding. There are various types of Puran Poli – ones made with Channa dal or Tuvar dal, Jaggery or Sugar, Refined wheat flour (Maida) or Whole Wheat Flour (Gehun ka atta)…little hard or soft like tissue paper that it breaks into a million pieces the minute you touch it.. The version I made uses refined flour since the maida kind of Puran Poli is the one I have been used to my whole life but if you prefer a healthier version, feel free to substitute it with whole wheat flour. Either ways, it will taste splendid. Puran Poli makes a great breakfast or tea time snack…just don’t forget to serve it warm with ghee!Print
For the Stuffing
- 1 cup Split Bengal gram (chana dal),rinsed in water
- 1 cup Jaggery (gur),grated
- 1/4 teaspoon green cardamom powder
- a pinch of saffron (kesar), optional
For the dough
- 11/2 cups refined flour (maida)
- 3 tablespoon ghee
- pinch of salt
- water as needed
- 1/2 cup oil
- Mix refined flour (maida),salt,ghee and sufficient water (around 1/4 cup) to make a very soft dough.
- Note: The softness of the Puran Poli depends on the softness of the dough.
- Add oil to the dough and let the dough immerse in the oil for an hour while you make the stuffing.
- When ready to make Puran Polis, remove the dough from the oil. The oil can be reused for other purposes.
Making the stuffing
- Pressure cook chana dal (took me 3 whistles).
- Drain it using a colander and coarsely grind it,
- In a microwave safe bowl, add ground dal, jaggery,saffron,cardamom powder and mix well.
- Microwave on high uncovered for 4 minutes. Remove the bowl and mix well.
- Microwave again for 2 minutes. Remove the bowl and mix well before putting it back again in the microwave. Repeat this process until the mixture appears dry and can be rolled into a ball. The microwave process takes around 16 minutes total)
- (Alternatively, this chana dal-jaggery mixture can be reduced on the gas too. Constantly stir the mixture till it appears dry enough to be rolled into balls)
- Let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Divide the stuffing into sixteen equal portions and roll into balls.
To make Puran Poli
- Divide dough into sixteen equal portions and roll into balls.
- Flatten each ball and stuff with one portion of the stuffing.Cover the stuffing with the dough and seal the edges properly.
- Dust the ball with flour and with the sealed edge facing down, roll into a round shape as thin as possible.
- Place a tawa on gas on medium heat. Once heated, add the Puran Poli and cook until small bubbles form on the top. Turn it over and cook the other side.
- Serve hot with ghee.