Well, I thought shrimps and prawns were similar..apparently they are not. Check this out for more information. For this recipe you can use either depending on where you live and what you can find. We call it yeti back home in Mangalore and ajadina means dry gravy. This recipe is a concoction of how my mom and my sis in law make it.Whenever my mom used to make this at home,I would go for seconds and thirds till there was nothing left :(. I think it is totally worth hogging over.When I make it I usually pair it with plain rice and yogurt.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Serving size: 1/5 of a recipe (6.1 ounces).
PER SERVING: 192.77 calories; Calories from Fat: 79.93g; Total Fat: 38.54g; Saturated Fat: 3.85g; Cholesterol: 137.89mg; Sodium: 373.25mg; Potassium: 338.84mg; Total Carbs: 9.26g; Fiber: 2.84g; Sugar: 2.91g;Protein: 20.24g
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 sprig of kadipatta (curry leaves)
- 1/2 of medium sized onion finely cut
- 5-6 cloves of garlic
- a pinch of ajwain seeds and methi seeds, grounded in a pestle to a fine powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper seeds, grounded in a pestle to fine powder
- 1/2 of medium sized tomato finely cut or 1/4 teaspoon tamarind
- 3 tablespoon Mangalorean curry powder [ See Note]
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 a pound shrimp / prawns, deveined and skin peeled off
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup grated coconut mixed with a teaspoon of Mangalorean curry powder
- Heat the oil in a medium sized pan on medium heat and add mustard seeds to it. When they start spluttering add kadipatta to it. Let it fry for around 20 seconds and then add onions and garlic paste and fry them till they are translucent. Add ground ajwain ,pepper powder and methi seeds and mix well.
- Add tomatoes and fry them till they are mushy. [ If you are using tamarind instead, add tamarind paste and mix well and then move on to the next step]
- Add the shrimp / prawn along with chili powder,salt and Mangalorean masala powder and mix well. Then add half a cup of water and let the shrimp cook in it. Add water as needed till the shrimp is done and all there is no more water left.
- Add grated coconut and mix well.Simmer it for 5 minutes and take it off heat and serve hot.