Crispy Air Fryer Potato Wedges
Note: This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These crispy, air fryer potato wedges make for a delicious appetizer or side dish that’s perfect for any occasion. All you need is a few simple ingredients and 30 minutes!
These crispy potato wedges will give you one more reason to love your air fryer. Here’s why we are absolutely crazy about this recipe.
Reasons to love this recipe
- Super easy to make!
- Ready in 30 minutes.
- Perfect anytime snack that requires very little hands-on time.
- Satisfies your craving for deep-fried food without all the calories.
How to cut potato wedges
- Slice potato in half lengthwise.
- Place the flat side down and cut each half into two equal pieces. There should be 4 slices in total.
- Now, cut each slice into half, creating a wedge.
Frequently asked questions
Use Russet/Idaho potatoes because they are starchy and dense with very little moisture in them.
To get rid of the excess starch from the potato. This helps keep the fries from sticking together while they cook. Soak them for 20-30 minutes. Rinse them thoroughly after soaking.
Air fried potatoes can get soggy or mushy for the following reasons-
1) A waxy potato variety was used instead of a starchy one like Idaho/ Russet.
2) The potatoes were not soaked in water and hence had excess starch.
3) The soaked potatoes were not completely patted dry before cooking.
4) They were overcrowded while cooking. Cook in batches for best results.
Tips to make crispy potato wedges
- Soak them in cold water to remove starch for at least 20-30 minutes.
- Rinse them and completely dry them before air frying. Use either a paper towel or a clean dishtowel.
- Make sure they are roughly the same size for even cooking.
- Use potatoes with less moisture in them.
This recipe has been tested using Instant Pot Omni Plus Air fryer.
Crispy Air Fryer Potato Wedges
- 1.5 lbs Russet Potatoes ~ 4 medium-sized potatoes
- 3 tablespoons oil avocado or peanut
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly and peel them. You can leave the peels on if you like.
- Cut the potato into half lengthwise. Put the flat side down and cut into half again to create 4 pieces in all. Cut each piece into half to create a wedge.
- Soak them in cold water for about 20-30 minutes. Rinse and dry the potatoes using a clean dish towel or paper towel.
- Toss the potato wedges in a mixture of oil, garlic powder, paprika, and salt till completely coated.
- Place in the air frying basket – don't overcrowd them. Depending on the size of your airfryer, you may have to make them in batches.
- Air fry for about 16 minutes at 400°F. Pause the air frying at around 8 minutes and toss the fries to enable even cooking.
- Serve hot with ketchup or any dip of your choice.
Disclaimer: Approximate nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and can vary depending on the exact ingredients/brands used. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist.
These air fryer potato wedges taste best when they are served immediately after making them. If you have leftovers, let them cool down completely before refrigerating them in an air-tight container.
To reheat the fries, place them in the air fryer and cook at 400°F for 4-5 minutes.
Substitutions / Variations
For cheesy loaded potato wedges – After the potato wedges are air-fried, you can mix them in a mixture of finely grated parmesan cheese and finely chopped fresh parsley.
While salt and pepper are my seasonings of choice, I love to mix it up by adding a dash of the following seasonings –
Perfect as a side dish with burgers, or as an anytime snack with a side of ketchup or sour cream.
Other air fryer recipes that you’ll like
- Crispy Air Fryer French Fries – These crispy vegan air-fryer French fries are so damn good that they could give the deep-fried ones a run for their money.
- Sweet Potato Fries – Made with 5 ingredients, these gluten-free and vegan fries are better than any deep-fried version.
- Tandoori chicken tikka– This quick and easy Tandoori chicken tikka recipe is a delicious appetizer dish that is a sure shot crowd-pleaser!
- Tandoori Salmon – Spicy and tangy bite-size pieces of the salmon are grilled to perfection to make this delicious dish that takes less than 30 minutes to make.
- Air fryer sweet potato fries – Made with 5 ingredients, these gluten-free and vegan fries are better than any deep-fried version.
I like this easy recipe. One question though – did you use paper towel or a cloth to place the wedges on top of the air frying basket?
Satish – I used parchment paper.