Crispy air-fryer roasted chickpeas take your healthy snacking to a whole new level. This crunchy and spicy chickpea recipe comes together with 6 ingredients and can be ready in under 30 minutes for a naturally gluten-free and vegan snack!
Table of contents
Making and preparing healthy snacks should not be a difficult task. With so many salty, crunchy, and unhealthy snacks on the market, it can be difficult to compete with the ease of picking up something pre-made and ready for snacking.
These spicy roasted chickpeas are the answer to the easy snacking dilemma. With minimal hands-on time, these chickpeas come together in under 30 minutes and keep you full longer than potato chips or fries.
Why we love these crispy roasted chickpeas
- Quick, healthy snack.
- Ready in less than half the time of oven-roasted chickpeas.
- Extremely versatile – the spices and seasonings can easily be swapped for other flavors.
- Naturally gluten-free and vegan, these chickpeas suit every diet!
- Budget-friendly – Made with dry chickpeas, this simple recipe is also very cheap to make.
One of the top reasons to love these air fryer roasted chickpeas is the health benefits associated with chickpeas. These tasty legumes are a powerhouse of vitamins and minerals. They contain almost all of the essential amino acids making them an excellent source of plant-based protein.
And if that’s not enough of a reason to love them, they also pack in the fiber and help you feel full and satisfied longer.
How to make Air-Fryer Roasted Chickpeas
- Chickpeas – You will need cooked chickpeas or canned chickpeas for this recipe.
- Oil – A small amount of oil coats the chickpeas after initial roasting to help the spices stick.
- Spice blend – A mixture of chaat masala, dry mango powder, Kashmiri chili powder, and salt season the chickpeas after they have roasted in the air fryer.
Step by Step Instructions
Step #1: Prepare the chickpeas
- If you are using dry chickpeas, follow my Instant Pot Chickpeas recipe for a healthier alternative to canned chickpeas.
- Drain water from the chickpeas and discard any skin.
- Pat the chickpeas dry by using a cloth or paper towel- this is very important in helping ensure the chickpeas thoroughly dry out during the roasting.
Step #2: Roast the chickpeas
- Set the air-fryer temperature to 400°F.
- Next, add the chickpeas to the air-fryer. Set the time to 10 minutes.
- When the time is up, toss the chickpeas so they get evenly cooked.
- After tossing, set the timer for 10 more minutes and continue to cook until the timer is up.
- While the chickpeas are cooking, get a large bowl and mix together oil, chaat masala, amchur powder, chili powder, and salt.
- Once the chickpeas cook, toss the hot chickpeas in the oil and spice mixture until they are completely coated.
- Air fry the seasoned chickpeas for 3 more minutes at 400°F.
- Transfer to a plate to cool. Once completely cooled, store in a glass container for about 3-4 days in a cool, dark place.
- Make sure to remove as much water from the chickpeas before air frying, this allows them to fully crisp up during the air frying process.
- All air-fryers vary so you may have to increase the cooking time to make the chickpeas crunchy. Typically they should cook between 20-25 minutes.
- Do not add the spices until the last few minutes. This prevents the spice powders from burning during cooking.
- Turmeric Powder – Add a teaspoon of turmeric powder to give it a nutritional boost. Do note, the turmeric will stain your fingers while you are eating the chickpeas.
- Cumin or garam masala- You can mix up the spices and try adding in a teaspoon of cumin or garam masala for a different flavor.
How to prep ahead
If you are looking for ways to save time or prep these spiced chickpeas in advance, here are my top two tips.
- Cook the chickpeas in advance – This will dramatically cut down the amount of time you spend making the chickpeas when you air fry and season them.
- Reheat in the air-fryer – Make the recipe all the way through up to 3 or 4 days in advance. Then reheat the chickpeas in the air-fryer for 5 minutes at 400°F.
How to store
Before storing it’s important to note moisture is the enemy of these crispy chickpeas. Make sure they are completely cooled before storing in a glass container.
- Use air fryer chickpeas in place of croutons on salad or bowl of soup.
- Mix them into quinoa bowls for added crunch.
- Enjoy them by the handful for a healthy, savory snack.
Frequently asked questions
Absolutely! Chickpeas provide the best plant-based protein of any legume. They are also packed with vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
This is most likely due to the chickpeas not drying out fully in the cooking process. If they were not very dry before going into the air fryer they might not get entirely crunchy.
Soft chickpeas a day or two after air frying? This happens because the oil has soaked into the chickpeas adding moisture to the inside. You can pop them back into the air fryer at 400°F for about 5 minutes to crisp them back up.
This depends on what kind of chickpeas you use. For canned chickpeas simply rinse, remove the skins, and pat dry. With dry chickpeas, they will need to cook or boil before roasting.
Other air fryer recipes you’ll love
- Quick and Healthy Air Fryer Granola– Healthy and easy granola recipe made with whole ingredients that are good for you.
- Crispy Air Fryer French Fries– These crispy vegan air-fryer French fries are so good that they could give the deep-fried ones a run for their money.
- Juicy Air Fryer Chicken Wings- Juicy on the inside, crispy on the outside, these air fryer chicken wings are finger-licking good!
- Roasted Nuts– Making roasted nuts at home is easier than you think and barely takes a few minutes! Learn how to air-fry this oil-free, one-ingredient healthy snack at home today.
- Homemade trail mix – If you are looking for a healthy and delicious snack, this homemade trail mix recipe is for you! Packed with healthy nuts, seeds, fruit, and more, it’s a simple snack everyone will enjoy!
- Air Fryer Chicken 65– Crispy on the outside, tangy and juicy on the inside, Air Fryer Chicken 65 is a must make snack!
Air Fryer Roasted Chickpeas
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas [or two 15 oz can] [see notes]
- Drain the water from the cooked chickpeas. Discard any skin.
- Use a cloth or paper towel to pat it dry.
- Set the temperature to 400°F in your air-fryer.
- Add the chickpeas to the air-fryer and set the time to 10 minutes
- When the time is up, toss the chickpeas so that they get evenly cooked.
- Set the timer for 10 minutes and continue to cook till the timer is up.
- While the chickpeas are cooking, in a large bowl combine oil with the spices – chaat masala, amchur powder, chili powder, and salt.
- Once the cooking is complete, toss the hot chickpeas in the oil and spice mixture till they are completely coated.
- Air fry the chickpeas for 3 more minutes at 400°F.
- Transfer it to a plate to cool. Once cooled store it in a glass container for about 3-4 days in a cool, dark place.
- I prefer to buy dried chickpeas and cook them in a pressure cooker. Here’s how to cook chickpeas in an Instant Pot. You can also use a 15 oz can of chickpeas. Make sure to drain and rinse the chickpeas before using them to get rid of excess salt and preservatives.
- Make sure to remove as much water from the chickpeas before air frying by using a cloth or a paper towel.
- Air fryers vary so you may have to increase the cooking time to make the chickpeas crunchy. Typically it should cook between 20-25 minutes.
- If the chickpeas lose their crunchiness in a couple of days, cook them in the air fryer for about 5 minutes at 400°F.
- The reason I add the spices in the last 5 minutes is because it prevents the spice powders from getting burned while being cooked for over 20 minutes.
- You can add a teaspoon of turmeric powder to give it a nutritional boost but it does stain your fingers while you are eating the chickpeas.
- To mix it up you can add either a teaspoon of cumin powder or garam masala.
Disclosure: This recipe contains affiliate links to products we love and recommend. As an affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Disclaimer: Approximate Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and can vary depending on the exact ingredients/brands used. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist.