Note: This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Aloo Bhindi or should I call this dish Bhindi Aloo? How do we decide? I choose to go the alphabetical way so let me just call it Aloo Bhindi. Not that anyone has never made this combination before but this is how I came to make it. I was having guests over and made Bhindi Fry and I realized that the quantity was not good enough.. too late.. what do I do now? or like my 2 year old used to say “what we do now, what we do?”.. My better half said why not add potatoes to the mix..and I thought why not..hmm.. so I boiled some potatoes and did a quick saute in a separate pan and added to the Okra. The dish was a big hit and so was I (at least for that day :)). I recently made it and used fresh Okra or Bhindi that I bought the previous day and OMG .. what a difference it made. I know it goes without saying anything fresh tastes best and this was a good reminder of that fact. Serve hot with warm rotis.
Aloo Bhindi (Okra and Potatoes) Recipes
- Boil the cut potatoes till they are soft (Not to the point that they are mushy. They should retain their shape and also you should be able to easily pierce it with a fork).
- Wash the okra and pat them dry. Cut the top and make vertical slits on them.
- Add oil to a medium sized non-stick pan or wok and keep it on medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds and when they start to sizzle add the cut okra, coriander powder, cumin powder, chili powder, and salt. Toss the contents in the pan to mix well.
- Continue to cook on medium heat for another 10 minutes, tossing as needed to prevent okra from sticking to the base of the pan.
- Add potatoes and turmeric powder mix well (Toss again to mix.You don't want to make them mushy )
- Reduce heat to the lowest setting and cover the pan and let it simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Add a dash of lemon to add a little tang to this dish.
- Take the pan off of heat and serve it hot with warm rotis.
Disclosure: This recipe contains affiliate links to products we love and recommend. As an affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Disclaimer: Approximate Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and can vary depending on the exact ingredients/brands used. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist.
Serving size: 1/4 of a recipe (4.8 ounces).
PER SERVING: 162.25 calories; Calories from Fat: 78.05g; Total Fat: 8.85g; Saturated Fat: 1.22g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 301.62mg; Potassium: 650.05mg; Total Carbs: 19.96g; Fiber: 3.53g; Sugar: 0.83g;Protein:3.04g