When I was writing the post on Kalakand, I looked up Wikipedia to find more about its origins and I stumbled upon a small snippet on Ajmeri Kalakand or Anjeer Barfi. This type of Kalakand is traditionally made from thickened milk and Figs or Anjeer and traces its origins to but of course Ajmer :). I made a mental note that next time I have Ricotta Cheese at home, I will give this a shot. And one day, I did. But unfortunately, I did not have fresh figs at home. Nothing could stop me now, so I dug my pantry and found some dried figs and soaked them in warm water overnight and the next day I embarked on my journey to make Anjeer Kalakand at home and score some brownie points with my husband as well 😉
Step by step recipe
Anjeer (Fig) Barfi / Anjeer Kalakand
- Coarsely ground the figs to a paste.
- Heat a wok on medium heat and add a teaspoon of ghee. When hot, add ground figs paste and sauté them for approximately 8 – 10 minutes.Set aside.
- In a microwave safe dish, mix the Ricotta Cheese, Sugar and Condensed Milk well to remove any lumps.
- Place the dish in the microwave and cook it for 5 minutes uncovered.
- Take the mixture out and mix well. Cook it in the microwave for 3 more minutes.
- Microwave for 3 minutes, covered. Stir well.
- Add the sautéed fig paste and mix well.
- Put it back in the microwave for 2 minutes, take out and mix. Repeat this process (microwaving it for 2 minutes and stirring well 2 more times).
- Add in 1/2 of the chopped almonds and powdered cardamom (if using and mix well again.)
- Transfer the mixture in a 9X9 pan and use the back of your spoon to flatten the mixture.
- Sprinkle the remaining chopped almonds and press them into the mixture.
- Let it cool (for about 10 minutes and cut into squares.)
- When it is completely cold, separate the squares and store in the refrigerator. Consume it in 2-3 days.
Disclosure: This recipe contains affiliate links to products we love and recommend. As an affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Disclaimer: Approximate Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and can vary depending on the exact ingredients/brands used. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist.