Note: This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you looking for something that will satiate your sweet cravings in the mornings and also fulfill your need for eating healthy? This delicious apple banana smoothie is just what you need! Made with a few simple ingredients, this delicious smoothie takes just 5 minutes!
My mom would often blend apple and milk together to make what we called at that time a milkshake. This was when milkshakes were uncommon in India, so I was pretty impressed with my mom because this drink was so damn delicious. She used to add a bit of sugar, but my recipe for apple smoothie does not.
This apple banana smoothie recipe is also inspired by mom’s recipe but with one addition– fresh bananas. Bananas are loaded with potassium and magnesium, making them heart-healthy, not to mention the fact that it also makes the smoothie creamier and even more delicious!
Is it a smoothie or a milkshake?
The key difference between a milkshake and a smoothie is that milkshakes usually contain ice cream as one of their ingredients, whereas smoothies don’t! To make an apple banana milkshake, follow the recipe below and add a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Learn more: Smoothie vs Milkshake – what’s the difference?
Why you will love this recipe
- It needs only a few basic ingredients!
- It is delicious without any added sugar.
- Makes for a filling breakfast or afternoon snack.
- It comes together in 5 minutes and is perfect for when you are in a rush.
How to make an apple banana smoothie
With some fresh apples and bananas, you can make this fruit and milk-based smoothie in your kitchen quickly. This recipe calls for dates instead of processed sugar, making it a healthy drink you can have any time of the day. This apple and banana smoothie is a great alternative to store-bought juices and makes for a filling snack/drink after school.
- Apple, peeled, cored, and sliced – If you live in the US, use Fuji, Gala, or Red or golden delicious apples. They are not only sweet but also break down easily in the blender.
- Ripe but firm banana, chopped into chunks – the riper the banana, the sweeter it’ll be. Frozen bananas will work as well.
- Liquid – Whole milk or almond milk.
- Sweetener – pitted dates, honey, or maple syrup. Note: If you don’t have a high-performance blender, soak the dates in 1/4 cup of warm milk or water for 15-30 minutes. Dates are known for their natural sweetness, so there is no need to add sugar.
- Ice cubes (optional)
The blender I recommend
This high-speed blender is not only great for smoothies but also makes fine purees and spice powders.
How to prep ahead
While you can’t chop apples ahead of time (they’ll brown), you can always chop and freeze the bananas—no need to thaw the frozen bananas before using them.
Frequently asked questions
Use Fuji, Gala, or Red or golden delicious apples. They are not only sweet but also break down easily in the blender.
You don’t have to, but leaving the peels on gives the smoothie a gritty texture. But if you prefer to leave the peels on, use organic apples and wash them thoroughly.
Preferably no. Granny Smith apples have a strong tart taste that, in my opinion, doesn’t pair well with a milk-based smoothie.
Enjoy the natural sweetness of fresh fruits with an Apple Banana Smoothie – a delicious, nutritious, and easy-to-make drink. All you need are a few ingredients and a high-powered blender to create a refreshing and filling smoothie in no time.
5-minute Apple Banana Smoothie Recipe
- 1.5 cups whole milk
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 banana, chopped
- 6-7 dates, chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons cacao nibs optional
- Add milk to the blender, followed by all the other ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- Serve immediately for the best tasting smoothie.
Disclaimer: Approximate nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and can vary depending on the exact ingredients/brands used. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist.
- For an apple banana smoothie bowl: The amount of liquid you add depends on the consistency you desire. You can reduce the milk to 1/2 a cup and use this recipe to make a smoothie bowl. Serve it with chopped bananas and granola.
- If you prefer a yogurt-based smoothie, substitute milk with Greek yogurt.
- To make it vegan, use oat milk, almond milk, or plant-based yogurt.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of oats to make this smoothie even more filling.
- Add a teaspoon of cacao nibs for a hint of chocolate.
- Ground cinnamon – you can also add a pinch of ground cinnamon to enhance the flavor of this smoothie.
- Optional add-ons
- Add a tablespoon of nut butter such as cashew, almond, or peanut butter for a protein dose.
- For added fiber and protein, sprinkle in chia seeds or hemp seeds before blending.
For best results, use ripe bananas since they tend to be sweeter than the unripe ones.
Serve this smoothie in a mason jar drizzled with peanut butter and oats.
How to store
Refrigerator: Smoothies taste best when freshly made. Apples turn brown due to oxidation when not consumed immediately. If you don’t mind the change of color, you can store this smoothie in the refrigerator for up to two days in an air-tight glass jar. Stir well before serving.
Freezer: You can freeze this smoothie in freezer-safe containers for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
Other delicious smoothie recipes you’ll love
If you liked this easy smoothie recipe, here are a few more of my favorite healthy smoothie recipes for you to choose from –
This creamy and delicious mango banana smoothie recipe takes less than 10 minutes to make! While this recipe uses milk, you can easily make a vegan version using oat, almond, or coconut milk. Tastes great with frozen mangoes too!
Learn to make a creamy and nutritious chocolate banana smoothie with just 6 ingredients and 5 minutes! This delicious chocolate smoothie packs in all the flavors of a milkshake with far fewer calories!
Need more smoothie recipes? Check out this list of 10+ delicious smoothie recipes for when you need fresh ideas to keep your smoothie-drinking routine interesting.
This post was originally published on 03/03/2020 and was completely updated with pictures and new text on 7/28/2023.