Baingan bharta is a smoky-flavored curry made by mashing fire-roasted eggplants and cooking them in a rich onion-tomato gravy. A popular North Indian dish, Baingan bharta pairs well with roti or rice.
If you are in India and someone tells you “Bharta bana dunga”, you probably should run for your life. The word bharta means beating to a pulp. In the case of this recipe, it is the eggplant that is being beaten to a pulp to make this delicious tasting Bhaingan bharta.
How to make baingan bharta?
This simple vegan eggplant recipe involves roasting eggplants or brinjal either over gas or oven. The skin is then peeled off and the flesh is cooked in an onion-tomato gravy seasoned with spices.
How to roast eggplants for baingan bharta?
To make baingan bharta, you need to roast eggplants which can be done in several ways –
- Cooking eggplant on the stove – To avoid eggplant juice leaking all over your stove, wrap the eggplants with foil. It takes slightly longer to roast with the foil on but it saves time with the cleaning effort.
- Grilling in the oven – This is an almost hands-free way to roast the eggplants. Make slits on the eggplants and rub them with oil. Heat the oven to up to 450 degrees F. Place the eggplants on an oven safe sheet and bake for about 45 minutes. Make sure to rotate the eggplants at around 20 minutes. Broil for 5 minutes on low to finish it off.
If you are a fan of Indian eggplant, Bharwa baingan (stuffed eggplants) is an easy and delicious recipe that you must check out. This stuffed eggplant recipe pairs well with roti just like this baingan bharta recipe.
Before you leave, do follow me on Pinterest and pin this recipe to your board to make it in the future.
★ DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? PLEASE GIVE IT A STAR RATING BY CLICKING BELOW!Print
Making Baingan Bharta (roasted eggplants) is easier than you think. All you need is patience and a good recipe :-). Make this delectable dish today!
- 2 large eggplants (~ 2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 6-7 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-inch piece ginger, grated
- 3 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon coriander (dhania) powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin (jeera) powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- a teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Cover the eggplant completely with foil and place it on a gas stove over medium heat.
- Turn it frequently using tongs and roast them till the skin is completely charred (approximately 20 minutes) and the insides turn soft and cave in. Let it cool.
Grilling eggplants in the oven – This is an almost hands-free way to roast the eggplants. Make slits on the eggplants and rub them with oil. Heat the oven to up to 450 degrees F. Place the eggplants on an oven safe sheet and bake for about 45 minutes. Make sure to rotate the eggplants at around 20 minutes. Broil for 5 minutes on low to finish it off.
Time-saving tip – Fry the onions and tomatoes in parallel as you roast the eggplant to cut about 20 minutes from your cooking time.
Keywords: Baingan bhurta, Baingan Bharta, Smoked eggplant curry