Prep for this Baked French Toast right before bed and enjoy a weekend style breakfast on any weekday morning.
Who doesn’t dread Monday mornings? We always manage to wake up late on Mondays which is because either we had too much fun the previous day or spent the weekend cleaning up the mess we created the previous week. Whatever the reason, the end result is always the same – being pressed for time to start our day with homemade breakfast.
What I love about this recipe for Baked French Toast is the fact that you can put this dish together the previous night and bake it the next morning for a perfect “pick me up” breakfast. It is a perfect treat for a busy Monday morning. Enjoy this with a hot cup of cappuccino and your Monday mornings will never be the same.
Read this before you get started –
- Don’t forget to grease the baking dish before you get started.
- Always dip the bread one slice at a time in the egg-milk batter before placing it in the baking dish instead of pouring the batter over the slices.(I did that and that resulted in the bread not soaking the batter evenly. Not all of my shortcuts work ;-))
- One more thing, when you bake the bread slices together in a dish, they will stick to each other so don’t expect them to turn out like how it would when you fry them individually.
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter) or melted butter
- 10 slices of bread
- Grease a 9X13 inch baking dish and set aside.
- Beat eggs until they are light, frothy and evenly colored.
- Add in milk and vanilla essence and mix well.
- Dip a slice of bread into mixture making sure both sides are evenly soaked and place the bread slices in the greased baking dish. It is okay to overlap the bread slices. Repeat the process with the remaining bread slices. Pour the remaining batter on top.
- Cover the baking dish and refrigerate it overnight.
- When you are ready to make French Toast next morning, preheat the oven to 375 F degrees.Remove the cover from the baking dish after taking it out from the refrigerator.
- Sprinkle the bread slices with brown sugar and melted butter or ghee.
- Bake the dish for 25 minutes and broil it for a minute or two if you like the bread to be crusty.
- Serve hot with maple syrup.
I would love to hear from you on how this recipe for Baked French Toast worked out for you. If you have a make-ahead breakfast recipe that you love, please share the recipe with me in the comments below.