I like to think that I made muffins a whole lot healthy by altering the basic muffin recipe that I had by making these substitutions –
1) Butter with oil
2) Sour cream with yogurt
3) Reduced the quantity of whole purpose flour (maida) quantity by half by replacing it with oats and whole wheat flour.
It was supposed to be an experiment and I was surprised that the resultant Banana Oat muffins were so soft and spongy! Plus bonus points to me for using up the quick oats that has been lying around for sometime now :).
Note: To turn quick oats into oat flour, pulse the oats until they are ground into a powder-like consistency.
Banana Oats Muffin
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup mashed banana
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients - all flours, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Set it aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the beaten egg, banana,yogurt, oil and sugar. Add in the dry ingredients and combine them until moistened.
- Use an ice cream scoop or a spoon to divide the mixture into 12 greased muffin pans or paper lined muffin cups.
- Place into the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let it cool for 5 minutes before removing them from pan to a wire rack.
- Serve immediately or store in airtight container for 2 to 3 days.
Disclaimer: Approximate Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and can vary depending on the exact ingredients/brands used. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist.