What’s special about this Cornbread is that it is such an easy recipe that my 8-year-old could make it. She had to make something out of corn for her school project and she chose Cornbread. Little did she know that I absolutely love Cornbread and the only reason I haven’t made at home so far because I know my husband isn’t particularly fond of corn (even this awesome Corn Bhel !)
Since I have never made Cornbread ever, I looked up the recipe and found this one in Allrecipes pretty straightforward and easy and used that to make this soft and spongy Cornbread.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.Line an 8 inch square pan with parchment paper or grease it with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Set a skillet on medium heat on a gas stove. Add butter and when it is completely melted, remove from heat and then add sugar. Stir well. Add eggs and stir them in.
- Combine buttermilk with baking soda in a separate bowl and then add them to this mixture and mix well.
- Add the remaining ingredients - cornmeal, flour, and salt and mix them till they are well blended. It is okay if few lumps are left behind.
- Pour the batter into the prepared 8 inch square pan and bake it in the oven for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes clean.
Disclaimer: Approximate Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and can vary depending on the exact ingredients/brands used. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist.