Here’s a quote I love – In character, in manner, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity.That is how I will describe this dish – Chicken Saag. I think this is probably my best recipe yet – simple to make yet exotic to taste. I think I will stop here and let the recipe do the talking…
Note: You can definitely increase the quantity of the spinach to get more greens into your dish. This recipe is more chicken and less saag.
- 1 lb chicken thighs, chopped to pieces of desired size
- 3 teaspoon paprika / mild chilly powder
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup onions, chopped finely
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 teaspoon garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Water as needed
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and a teaspoon of chilly powder.
- Heat oil in a kadhai or wok over medium-high heat. Add chicken and fry them on each side until browned (approximately 3-4 minutes each side). Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add the chopped onion slices and fry them till they soften (approximately 10-12 minutes). Add the chopped tomatoes and fry them till the mixture becomes mushy and begins to leave oil.
- Add spinach and fry them for another 5-6 minutes. Add the coconut milk, salt, garam masala and remaining chilly powder and mix well. Add water as needed to get it to the consistency you desire.
- Add the chicken back to the wok and continue cooking on medium heat till it is done (approximately 10 minutes). Cover the wok and let it simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve it with hot with roti or rice
Disclaimer: Approximate Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and can vary depending on the exact ingredients/brands used. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist.