Note: This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Learn to make a creamy and healthy chocolate banana smoothie with just 6 ingredients in under 5 minutes! This delicious chocolate smoothie packs in all the flavors of a chocolate milkshake with far fewer calories!
Sometimes, you need to treat yourself to something that tastes delicious while also packing in the nutrients. This healthy chocolate banana smoothie does just that!
This easy-to-make chocolate smoothie takes just a few minutes and results in a deliciously creamy and indulgent treat perfect for breakfast, an after-school snack, or even a guilt-free dessert!
Why you will love this creamy chocolate smoothie
- This healthy smoothie tastes just like an indulgent milkshake without the added calories.
- No added sugar makes it a guilt-free treat.
- Blends up in 5 minutes for a quick snack or an easy breakfast.
- It is packed with healthy ingredients like bananas, dates, and goji berries!
- Banana – Use a frozen banana for an extra rich and creamy texture. Chop ripe bananas into chunks or slices overnight and freeze them for at least 6-8 hours before using.
- Unsweetened Cocoa or cacao powder– Provides a delicious chocolatey flavor without any added sugar.
- Whole Milk or Greek Yogurt – For that dose of calcium. You can also use plant-based milk such as almond milk or oat milk.
- Hazelnut Butter– Use homemade hazelnut butter so the smoothie isn’t loaded with added sugar. This gives the smoothies a nutty and chocolaty flavor. Alternatively, you can use peanut butter, almond butter, or cashew butter as well.
- Dates – Adds natural sweetness as well as protein to the smoothie. You can also use honey or maple syrup instead of dates.
- Goji Berries (optional)- Provide a tart flavor while adding loads of antioxidants to the smoothie!
- Ice cubes (optional) – Use ice only if not using a frozen banana.
About goji berries
You may have noticed that I’ve added goji berries to this smoothie, and here’s why. Packed with Vitamin A, these dried berries show many health benefits, such as boosting your immune system and maintaining blood sugar.
Another reason you might consider adding goji berries to your diet has to do with the high levels of antioxidants found in this fruit. Zeaxanthin, also found in saffron and bell peppers, gives the berry a distinct bright red color.
The blender I recommend
This high-speed blender is not only great for smoothies but also makes fine purees and spice powders.
- Soak the dates overnight in the milk to soften it. [Optional step – if you are not using a high-powered blender].
- For best results, add milk first, followed by dates, frozen bananas, unsweetened cocoa, hazelnut butter, and goji berries (optional).
- Blend until the smoothie reaches your desired consistency. You may have to run the blender twice to get a smooth consistency.
How to prep ahead
To prep ahead for this smoothie, chop the bananas, place them in a freezer-safe bag, and freeze. Remove it from the freezer just before making the smoothie – no need to thaw.
Tips and Tricks
- Use frozen bananas instead of fresh to give this smoothie a thick and creamy texture.
- Use a high-performance blender, if possible, to ensure that the dates and frozen bananas get pureed properly without leaving any unsightly bits behind.
Yes, feel free to skip the nut butter, and you can use sunflower seed butter.
Yes, you can use fresh bananas; it won’t be as creamy as it would be with frozen bananas.
Dates are a high-fiber food that also contains a high amount of protein and is a healthy way to sweeten smoothies without adding any sugar.
Pitted dates are best for the job. If the dates are not pitted, remove the pits before using them. The second step is to soak the dates overnight in milk. This makes blending the smoothie a whole lot easier.
Bananas make the perfect addition to any smoothie! They provide a thick and creamy texture to smoothies. Also, using frozen bananas in smoothies allows you to create a cold smoothie without adding ice to water it down. Lastly, bananas and chocolate pair really well together.
Some of the most common ways to sweeten a smoothie naturally include using fruit, which is naturally sweet, like ripe bananas or dates. You can also add honey, agave, or maple syrup.
Use a high-powered blender and always add liquid first, followed by harder-to-blend items.
I highly recommend using unsweetened cocoa powder in smoothies. It gives the smoothie a delicious chocolate flavor without any added sugar. Another option to try would be adding chocolate syrup. The syrup adds a rich chocolate flavor but, unfortunately, adds additional sugar to the smoothie.
Who says you can’t indulge in a creamy chocolate banana smoothie guilt-free? In fact, it can be a smart choice that not only satisfies your taste buds but also nourishes your body.
All you need is a few simple ingredients and a blender, and voila! You’ve got yourself a delightful drink that’s perfect for any time of the day.
Whether you’re in need of a healthy breakfast, a quick snack, or a post-workout recovery, this delicious chocolate banana smoothie recipe is an excellent option. Go ahead, give it a try, and add it to your list of favorite smoothie recipes.
Easy Banana Chocolate Smoothie
- Soak the dates in milk overnight, if possible.
- In the base of a blender, add milk followed by dates and frozen banana, unsweetened cocoa, hazelnut butter, and goji berries (optional).
- Blend in a blender until the smoothie is of a consistency that you desire. Alternatively, if you are using the Blendtec blender, run the smoothie cycle twice to get a well-blended smoothie.
Disclaimer: Approximate nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and can vary depending on the exact ingredients/brands used. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist.
- Vegan version – Use any plant-based milk of choice, such as almond milk or oat milk, to replace regular milk.
- Smoothie bowls – Use two bananas instead of one to make a thick smoothie bowl.
- Chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie – You can use creamy peanut butter or any other favorite nut butter of your choice to boost protein content and incorporate healthy fats.
- Chocolate smoothie without bananas – Substitute bananas with 1/2 an avocado to get the same creamy texture that bananas provide.
- Sweeteners – Bananas and dates act as natural sweeteners in this recipe, but if you prefer it sweeter, you can also add a bit of honey or maple syrup to sweeten it more.
- Other add-ins –
- Add a scoop of protein powder or
- Sprinkle chia seeds, flax seeds, or hemp seeds.
- To make it more filling, you can also add 1/4 cup of rolled oats and blend it with the rest of the ingredients.
- A dash of vanilla extract makes it more flavorful.
Serve this banana chocolate smoothie in a mason jar or a tall glass topped with chopped bananas, chocolate shavings, or goji berries. For a more indulgent drink, serve with whipped cream.
Pour the leftover smoothie into popsicle molds and freeze. Makes for a delicious frozen treat during summer.
How to store
Refrigerator: Smoothies taste best when freshly made. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to two days. Stir well before serving.
Freezer: You can freeze this chocolate banana smoothie in freezer-safe containers for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
Other healthy but decadent smoothies to try
If you enjoyed this creamy chocolate milkshake-like smoothie, here are some other favorite smoothie recipes worth checking out.
Need more smoothie recipes? Check out this list of 10+ fruit smoothie recipes for when you need fresh ideas to keep your smoothie-drinking routine interesting.
This post was originally published on 09/04/2020 and was completely updated with pictures and new text on 9/12/2023.