Note: This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These decadent chocolate coconut balls (ladoo)are perfect for the holidays. Make this easy dessert with your kids – all you need is 3 ingredients!
These chocolate coconut balls combine two classic ingredients to make a delicious treat. One bite into these fudgy, chocolatey balls will remind you of an Almond joy – a beloved candy bar that you can find in the US.
The only difference is that it isn’t dipped in chocolate, so you’ll feel less guilty about indulging.
I created this recipe during Diwali when I was thinking of how to amp up the traditional coconut barfi recipe. Making a ladoo(ball) was one way to do it, but there was nothing unique about it.
That’s when I thought – why not add chocolate to it? I am soo glad I did! These chocolate nariyal (coconut) laddus turned out great, and my family couldn’t get enough of them.
What’s nice about this recipe is that it works for any holiday, from Valentine’s day to Christmas. My kids love to make it with me, and I am sure yours will too.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Needs only 3 ingredients
- Fun recipe that you can make with the kids
- Comes together in less than 30 minutes
- Easier to make than chocolate dipped coconut balls
Here are a few things I wanted to share with you before you get started.
- Use unsweetened dessicated coconut for this recipe. If you are using coconut flakes, blend them in the processor till they look like bread crumbs.
- You can use semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips, depending on your perference.
- No added sugar is needed – sweetened condensed milk does the trick.
Chocolate Coconut Balls / Chocolate Nariyal Laddu
- Add 1/4 cup desiccated coconut to a wide-mouthed bowl. Set aside.
- Heat a non-stick wok over medium-low and add the remaining 3 cups of desiccated coconut.
- Cook the coconut for about 3-4 minutes, stirring continuously to toast evenly.
- Add condensed milk and chocolate chips.
- Continue to cook while stirring continuously, till the chocolate has melted and the mixture starts leaving the sides of the wok (should take about 2-3 minutes)
- Remove the wok from heat and let the mixture cool for no more than 10 minutes.
- Grease your hands with ghee and scoop about 2 tablespoons of the chocolate-coconut mixture.
- Shape into a ball using the palms of your hands. Immediately roll the ball into the reserved desiccated coconut mixture till it is completely coated. Set it aside on a plate.
- Repeat the process with the rest of the mixture.
- Consume immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
- The chocolate-coconut mixture needs to be warm while rolling – otherwise, they’ll fall apart.
- If the mixture is too sticky, cook for a few more minutes till the moisture is absorbed.
- If the mixture is too dry to roll, then add a tablespoon of milk or heavy cream to add moisture.
- Important: The balls dry up pretty quickly so roll them in desiccated coconut as soon as you shape each ball or the coconut will not stick to it.
Disclaimer: Approximate nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and can vary depending on the exact ingredients/brands used. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist.
How to store
Refrigerate for up to 7 days and in the freezer for up to a month.
- You can add finely chopped nuts while making the laddoos.
- Add half a teaspoon of vanilla extract to mix it up.
Other dessert recipes you’ll love
- Date cake – Made from luscious dates, this cake is probably one of the most satisying cakes you have ever eaten! Best part – you can whip it up in a blender in no time.
- Chocolate dipped bananas – These 3-ingredient frozen chocolate-covered banana bites are a decadent treat that your whole family will love. Make this copycat version of Trader Joe’s Gone bananas effortlessly at home.
- Chocolate date balls – Healthy and filling, these chocolate date balls are a quick and easy snack perfect for lunch boxes, an afterschool treat, or a nutritious after-dinner dessert.
- Chocolate dipped strawberries – Juicy, fresh strawberries coated in a rich chocolate shell come together easily for a special treat for the loved ones in your life!