Looking for a creamy scoop of homemade chocolate ice cream? Learn how to make this decadent double chocolate ice cream with just 4 ingredients and no ice cream maker.
Nothing beats a cold scoop of ice cream on a hot summer day. Except maybe a cold scoop of ice cream made from the comfort of your own home!
After discovering just how easy it is to make vanilla ice cream at home without an ice cream maker and nailing a creamy homemade mango ice cream, the next step was to take on a no-churn chocolate ice cream recipe.
Did you know the invention of chocolate ice cream came before vanilla ice cream? In Italy, in the 1700’s, they would freeze drinks such as coffee, tea, and hot chocolate to turn them into frozen desserts. One Italian doctor even used frozen hot chocolate as a “cure” for diseases and it is completely understandable why. This creamy frozen treat can make just about anyone feel a little better!
Why we love this double chocolate ice cream recipe
- Easy to make and just 4 ingredients.
- No ice cream maker needed.
- Takes 10 minutes to whip up.
- Double chocolate – chocolate ice cream AND chocolate chips. It tastes just like the one from Oberweis.
How do you make chocolate ice cream from scratch?
There are a few different ways you can make ice cream from scratch, my favorite way involves no ice cream maker and an eggless chocolate base. Simply whip heavy cream until thick and fold in a sweet double chocolate condensed milk mixture made from condensed milk, cocoa and chocolate chips.
What is chocolate ice cream made out of?
Creamy, eggless chocolate ice cream uses 4 ingredients- condensed milk, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, and heavy cream.
What can you add to ice cream?
Mix-ins and toppings reign supreme when it comes to ice cream. They add extra flavor and texture to homemade ice cream!
Mix-ins usually get mixed into the ice cream before you freeze the frozen treat. Some of the most common ice cream mix-ins include
- chocolate chips
- fresh fruit
Toppings on the other hand are added to the top of your ice cream before you indulge! Great topping options include:
- whipped cream
- hot fudge sauce
- magic shell
If you love ice cream as much as we do, here are a few other delicious frozen desserts to try this summer:
- Mango Ice Cream– This creamy homemade summer treat is a no-churn recipe bursting with fresh mango flavor.
- Eggless Vanilla Ice Cream- A 3 ingredient vanilla ice cream recipe you can whip up any summer day!
- Frozen Chocolate Banana Bites– Chocolate dipped bites of banana coated with sprinkles and frozen to perfection make the perfect treat to cool off this summer!
Creamy Eggless Double Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe
- Whisk together condensed milk with cocoa powder until well combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips. Set the bowl aside.
- Whisk heavy cream in a stand-in mixer or a handheld mixer for 6-8 minutes till the mixture is thick and creamy. (Note: When you are whisking or beating whipped cream, soft peaks form and then eventually the cream will thicken. Stop whisking at that point.)
- Add the condensed milk-chocolate mixture to the whipped cream. Mix well to combine using a whisk or a spatula.
- Transfer to an airtight freezer container and sprinkle it with chocolate chips.
- Cover it with a lid or shrink-wrap to prevent freezer burns.
- Freeze the ice cream mixture for 6-8 hours.
- Let the ice cream sit on the countertop for 2 -3 minutes before scooping them out.
- I prefer using mini chocolate chip morsels. The bigger the size of the chocolate chips the chunkier the ice cream gets.
- Drizzle it with magic sauce to make it even more chocolatey.
- You can also make chocolate swirl ice cream by just folding in the chocolate-condensed milk base and not completely mixing it.
- I used Hershey's unsweetened cocoa powder for this recipe. Depending on the cocoa powder you use the color of your ice cream may vary.
- To make it a dark chocolate ice cream, the only change you need to make is to substitute cocoa powder with dark cocoa powder.