This coffee walnut smoothie is the perfect solution for when you are debating between having coffee in the morning or chugging down a healthy smoothie.
Coffee walnut smoothie is yet another Natural ice-cream inspired smoothie and it is delicious just like the original. While the obvious ingredients are coffee and walnuts, it also includes the nutrition-rich dates and bananas along with a hint of hot cocoa powder to up the deliciousness quotient.
The best part is that you don’t have to choose between drinking a healthy smoothie or having your coffee.
How to make coffee walnut smoothie
Like I mentioned above the main ingredients in this smoothie are – coffee, walnuts, dates, bananas, and cocoa mix. The dates have been added as a sweetener and also because it is a nutrition powerhouse. Since smoothies are fruit-based, I had to pick a fruit. I chose banana because it is the only fruit that I find goes well with any flavor combination.
- Increase the coffee content. I do not prefer strong coffee, so a teaspoon of coffee was sufficient.
- Use sugar instead of dates -You could always use sugar but I prefer using dates or honey to sweeten my smoothie.
- Increase/decrease hot cocoa mix – I love the addition of hot cocoa mix to this smoothie – it feels like you are having an ice-cold mocha.
- Substitute hot cocoa with unsweetened cocoa – Makes it a tad bitter so go easy and start with a teaspoon. You may need to increase the amount of sweetener as well.
- Use ice cubes to make it extra foamy just like iced coffee.
- 2 cups milk
- 6-7 pitted dates
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 medium-sized banana
- 1 teaspoon coffee (I used Instant coffee)
- 3 teaspoons hot cocoa mix
- Soak the dates in milk overnight, if possible.
- Add the dates along with milk and all the other ingredients. Blend in a blender until the smoothie is of a consistency that you desire. Alternatively, if you are using the Blendtec blender, run the smoothie cycle twice to get a well-blended smoothie.