Note: This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date and Chikoo Smoothie – This nutritious blended drink made from dates and chikoo (Sapota) is a great treat for any time of the day – be it an after-school snack or a post-workout drink.
If you love chikoo milkshakes but hate the calories, then this date chikoo smoothie is right up your alley. With no added sugar but sweetened with dates, this smoothie is a nutrition powerhouse.
This date and chikoo smoothie is perfect for a quick breakfast or afternoon snack – it will quickly fill you up and keep you from mindless snacking.
Including dates in your diet can provide essential nutrients like fiber for digestion and potassium for heart health. Chikoo, on the other hand, is a great source of vitamin A, which promotes eye health, and vitamin C, which boosts immunity.
How to pick chikoos (sapotas)
For the best-tasting smoothie, you need chikoos that are fresh and ripe. Here are a few guidelines for picking them –
- Pick chikoos that don’t have blemishes or cuts. It should be brown or have a muddy color. If they are green or too light, they will need time to ripen.
- Just like avocados, ripe chikoos will yield slightly to gentle pressure. If it is hard, it is underripe, and if it feels too soft or mushy, they are likely overripe.
- Avoid picking chikoos that feel light – they are usually dry from the inside and will be less flavorful.
- Ripe chikoos are aromatic. If it smells sour or fermented, it may be either overripe or spoilt.
Chikoo fruits will ripen even after being harvested. If you’ve picked chikoos that are not ripe, leave them on the counter at room temperature, away from direct sunlight. Once ripe, refrigerate them, and they’ll last up to a week.
- Chikoo (sapota or sapodilla) – fresh chikoo work best when in season. You can also pick frozen chikoo slices in the frozen section of Indian grocery stores. If you can’t find chikoos, substitute them with bananas.
- Mejdool dates, pitted – If you don’t have a high-performance blender, soak the dates in 1/4 cup of warm milk or water for 15-30 minutes. Dates are known for their natural sweetness, so no need to add sugar.
- Whole milk – for a vegan version, use oat or almond milk.
- Ice cubes (optional)
The blender I recommend
This high-speed blender is not only great for smoothies but also makes fine purees and spice powders.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, dried dates can be used, but soak them in warm milk or water for at least 15-30 minutes to soften them.
Yes! Substitute dairy milk with almond milk or oat milk.
Absolutely! When chikoos are not in season, enjoy this smoothie with frozen ones – no need to thaw before using.
Date and Chikoo Smoothie Recipe
- ½ cup chikoos sapota, sliced
- ½ cup dates
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- ¼ cup ice cubes
- Blend all the ingredients in a blender until the smoothie is of a consistency that you desire. Alternatively, if you are using the Blendtec blender, run the smoothie cycle twice to get a well-blended smoothie!
Disclaimer: Approximate nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and can vary depending on the exact ingredients/brands used. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist.
- Other add-ins – For added fiber and protein, sprinkle in chia seeds before blending. You can also add oats to make it more filling.
- Add chopped frozen bananas for extra creaminess or to make a thick smoothie bowl.
- To make a creamy chikoo milkshake, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and blend it in.
If using frozen chikoos or sapotas for this recipe, use it without thawing.
Serve this chikoo smoothie in a mason jar topped with chopped dried dates or mini chocolate chips.
How to store
Refrigerator: Smoothies taste best when freshly made. Having said that, you can store it in the refrigerator for up to two days. Stir well before serving.
Freezer: You can freeze this smoothie in freezer-safe containers for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
Pour the leftover smoothie into popsicle molds and freeze. Makes for a delicious frozen treat during summer.
Other fruit smoothie recipes you’ll love
If you liked this easy smoothie recipe, here are a few more delicious smoothie recipes for you to choose from –
This Papaya mango smoothie, loaded with vitamins and antioxidants, is the perfect way to start your day or recharge your body after an intense workout. It also makes for a great after-school snack and will keep your kids satiated until dinner time.
This smoothie combines saffron (kesar), and pistachios (pista) with banana, cardamom, and milk to create a delicious and nutrient-rich drink that’s perfect for kids and as a post-workout drink.
Apple smoothie is a delicious way to start your day with the goodness of milk and apples and with no added sugar. It is ready in less than 5 minutes – now you have no reason to skip breakfast.
Need more smoothie recipes? Check out this list of 10+ delicious smoothie recipes for when you need fresh ideas to keep your smoothie-drinking routine interesting.
This post was originally published on 05/05/2017 and was completely updated with pictures and new text on 7/7/2023.