I am not particularly fond of fish but this recipe from my friend M changed my mind. After eating this fish curry at her place numerous times, I finally asked for the recipe and she was gracious enough to share it. She adds milk to this gravy to soften the flavor of spices and that gives it a nice creamy flavor.Typically, we don’t mix fish and milk together but for such fantastic end result I don’t mind letting go off my past preconceived notions (BTW it is a fallacy that mixing milk and fish can cause skin problems)..If you are still skeptical replace milk with 1/4 cup coconut milk.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serving size: 1/5 of a recipe (7.9 ounces).
PER SERVING: 223.12 calories; Calories from Fat: 96.72g; Total Fat: 10.99g; Saturated Fat: 2.31g; Cholesterol: 51.95mg; Sodium: 308.19mg; Potassium: 574.17mg; Total Carbs: 11.16g; Fiber: 3.86g; Sugar: 3.76g;Protein: 22.37g
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 8 pepper seeds
- 1 bay leaf (tej patta)
- 4 cloves (laung)
- 1 black cardamom (badi elaichi)
- 1 small cinnamon stick (dalchini)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 and a half medium sized onions, cut finely
- 2 tomatoes, cut finely
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 pound fish (tilapia,catfish) cut into pieces
- ½ cup milk
- salt to taste
- coriander leaves for garnishing
- Heat oil in a medium sized pan and when it turns hot add the spices (pepper seeds, cloves, bay leaf, black cardamom,cinnamon) and let them sizzle for 10-15 seconds
- Add garlic and onions and reduce the heat (medium low). Add salt. Stir it occasionally till the onions soften and start to caramelize (around 15 – 20 minutes). Note: This slow cooking brings out a sweet flavor as the sugars in the onion caramelize. Here is a step by step procedure on how to caramelize. Add tomatoes, chili, turmeric, coriander and cumin powder and continue to fry them till they become mushy.
- Add the milk and mix well and let it simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
- Gently place the fish in the gravy and spoon over the gravy on it.
- Cook the fish till it is done (fish is considered done when it separates from the bone.If you have a boneless fish like Tilapia,use a fork to cut it and if you are able to do it easily your fish is done.)
- Take it off heat and serve hot sprinkled with coriander.