These 3-ingredient frozen chocolate-covered banana bites are a decadent treat that your whole family will love. Make this copycat version of Trader Joe’s Gone bananas effortlessly at home.
Got extra bananas at home that no one cares for? Turn them into these mini chocolate-covered banana treats. Bite-sized frozen bananas covered in chocolatey crust taste just like ice cream.
It’s such a delicious way to sneak in some fruits in a dessert. I am pretty sure no one will complain!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Needs less than 10 minutes of hands-on time.
- You get your kids to eat more bananas.
- A fun dessert to make with your kids.
- Tastes just like ice-cream.
How to make chocolate-covered banana bites
Ingredients at a glance
Toppings for frozen bananas
- Crushed nuts such as almonds, pistachios, dry roasted peanuts
- Sea salt
You can make these chocolate-covered banana bites in 3 easy steps –
Freezing the bananas
Making the sauce
Putting it together
Either serve immediately or store it in the freezer. If taking out of the freezer, serve it immediately. Do not thaw them, or else the bananas become gooey.
Other delicious desserts
Try one of these delicious dessert recipes next!
- Chocolate Ice Cream – Learn how to make this decadent double chocolate ice cream with just 4 ingredients and no ice cream maker.
- Vanilla Ice Cream – This eggless, no-churn vanilla ice cream recipe makes the perfect dessert for any day!
- Creamy Mango Ice Cream – If you love Mango lassi then this mango ice-cream recipe is just what you need to satisfy your mango cravings.
- Fruit Custard – This Indian fruit custard recipe combines seasonal fruits with sweet creamy custard sauce to make this delectable dessert that is perfect for a crowd.
Frozen Chocolate Covered Banana Bites
- sprinkles, coconut, chopped nuts, etc.
- Toothpicks or popsicle sticks
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or wax paper.
- Cut the peeled banana into the desired size. You can halve a banana width-wise or cut into 1.5 to 2-inch bite-sized pieces.
- If they are bite-sized, insert the toothpick in each of the cut slices and if you halved the bananas use a popsicle stick. Note: If you don't have either a popsicle stick or toothpick then cut the bananas bite-sized and you can use a fork or spoon to dip the bananas in the sauce.
- Mix the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl and heat in a microwave for 15 seconds. Remove the bowl from the microwave and stir well.
- Continue to heat the bowl in 15-second increments and mix well, till the chocolate is completely melted.
- If you have halved your banana instead of bite-sized pieces, transfer the chocolate sauce into a tall juice glass. This will make it easier to dip the bananas.
- Keep the toppings ready before you take the bananas out of the freezer.
- Remove the banana slices from the freezer.
- Using the toothpick or popsicle, completely coat the banana slices with the chocolate sauce. Alternatively, you can use a fork to dip the banana bites in chocolate sauce and then set it on the parchment paper to dry.
- Set the chocolate covered banana bites on the parchment paper to set.
- Sprinkle the toppings immediately before the chocolate sets in. Repeat the process with the remaining slices.
- Transfer the banana bites into a freezer-safe Ziploc, if not consuming immediately. It will last in the freezer for about a month.
Serving suggestionsEither serve immediately or store it in the freezer. If taking out of the freezer, serve it immediately. Do not thaw them, or else the bananas become gooey.
Disclosure: This recipe contains affiliate links to products we love and recommend. As an affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Disclaimer: Approximate Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and can vary depending on the exact ingredients/brands used. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist.
This recipe was originally posted on July 18, 2015, and has been completely updated with pictures, step by step photos on 9th October 2020.