Note: This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These 20-minute chicken nuggets made from ground chicken are a breeze to make and oh-so-delicious. Make them for your kids today, and never get these at a drive-thru again!
Most kids LOVE chicken nuggets!
But they aren’t the healthiest, especially when you get them from fast food restaurants. So we end up with two options – get frozen chicken nuggets from grocery stores or make them at home.
Making homemade nuggets may sound time-consuming, but it isn’t, especially if you make these nuggets from ground chicken. This easy recipe takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish!
Faster than getting dressed and getting to a take-out place:-D.
So, ditch your drive-thru, and let’s make these tasty chicken nuggets at home!
Why this recipe rocks!
EASE: Using minced chicken makes your job easier!
PROS: So much better and healthier than fast food restaurants.
How do you make chicken nuggets with ground chicken?
Traditionally the crispy chicken nuggets you get from the store or a supermarket are made from breast meat. They need to be cut into bite-sized pieces and then seasoned, before frying them or baking them.
Using ground chicken saves you a step here.
So do check your package before you buy!
Now let’s get to the 4 easy steps you can follow to make homemade chicken nuggets using ground chicken at home –
- Combine all the ingredients (eggs + seasonings) except the ground chicken. Reserve about 3-4 tablespoons of the breadcrumbs for coating.
- Add the ground chicken to the seasonings + egg mixture and combine them. Shape the chicken mixture into balls (about 2 inches) and then flatten them.
- Coat them with the reserved breadcrumbs.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add a teaspoon of oil and fry the chicken nuggets in batches till it is golden brown on both sides.
Note – I use panko bread crumbs to give these homemade nuggets a nice crunch.
Oven and air fryer instructions
While my recipe card shares instructions to make these ground chicken nuggets over the stovetop, you can also bake them in the oven or air fry them.
- Oven – Preheat the oven to 375°F. Bake for 15 minutes until the internal temperature is 165°F and the nuggets turn golden brown. Make sure to flip the nuggets around the 7-minute mark so that it cooks evenly.
- Air fryer – Air fry at 400°F for 6-8 minutes (start with 6 minutes and cook for two more minutes, if needed). Make sure to flip them halfway through. Cook until the internal temperature is 165°F and the nuggets are golden brown on both sides.
- I use store-bought minced chicken, but you can always make your own ground chicken using a food processor. Make sure to chop the white meat chicken into cubes before pulsing them.
- You can use breadcrumbs with Italian seasoning for some taste variation.
- To make it gluten-free, use gluten-free breadcrumbs.
- Increase the amount of black pepper and red chili powder to a teaspoon each to make it spicy. Serve it as an appetizer for adults.
- Add some ground green chilies if you really want it spicy 🙂
How to meal prep
You can easily double or triple this homemade chicken nugget recipe. If you like to meal prep, here’s how you can make a big batch of these minced chicken nuggets –
- Cook the nuggets and let them cool completely.
- Freeze the nuggets in an air-tight container in layers. Place parchment paper between each layer so the frozen nuggets don’t stick to each other.
How to store
Refrigerator: Refrigerate these juicy nuggets in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Freezer: Freeze homemade chicken nuggets in a freezer-safe container for up to 4 months.
Reheat: Frozen chicken nuggets don’t need to be thawed. Reheat using either a microwave, oven, or air-fryer until heated through.
Easy Chicken Nuggets Recipe
- Combine all the ingredients except the ground chicken and oil. Reserve about 3-4 tablespoons of the breadcrumbs for coating.
- Add the ground chicken to the seasonings + egg mixture and combine them. Shape them into balls (about 2-inches) and then flatten them.
- Coat them with the reserved breadcrumbs.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add a tablespoon of oil and fry the chicken nuggets in batches (if needed). Fry them for a couple of minutes on each side till they are golden brown.
- Serve them warm or at room temperature with a side of ketchup.
- We used a teaspoon of both pepper and chili powder for our recipe – you can see them in our step by step pictures. We love spicy chicken nuggets.
- Use breadcrumbs with Italian seasonings to mix it up.
Disclaimer: Approximate nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and can vary depending on the exact ingredients/brands used. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist.
Other appetizer/snack recipes you’ll love
This air fryer buffalo cauliflower is a delicious and flavorful alternative to buffalo chicken wings. This tasty appetizer or side dish is ready in just 25 minutes from start to finish.
Healthy, hot, and crispy, these air fryer sweet potato fries are the perfect snack or side dish for any occasion. Made with 5 ingredients, these gluten-free and vegan fries are better than any deep-fried version.
Juicy on the inside and crispy on the outside, these air fryer chicken wings are finger-licking good! This easy-to-make snack comes together in 30 minutes and can easily be customized to BBQ Chicken wings or Buffalo Chicken wings.
This post was originally published on 07/23/2018 and was completely updated with pictures and new text on 5/28/2023.