Note: This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Homemade taco seasoning is super easy to make – all you need to do is mix a few pantry ingredients. Skip the storebought jars and learn how to make your own Mexican spice blend in less than 5 minutes!
Out of taco seasoning? Don’t rush out the door yet to get some. You can make this spice blend with the ingredients you have at home.
What’s great about homemade taco seasoning is that it makes everything delicious. You can not only use it for tacos, burritos but they are great for marinating any kind of protein – from chicken to paneer.
Reasons you’ll love this recipe
- Made from pantry ingredients.
- Cheaper that store-bought.
- Can be customized to work for your spice level.
- Has no added preservatives or sugar.
Store in an air-tight container for about 6 months.
How to use taco seasoning
Use one tablespoon of this taco seasoning for 1 – 1.5 lbs chicken (or any meat). Here’s a recipe that uses it – Chipotle chicken burrito bowl.
Other homemade spice blends you should try
- Garam masala – the quintessential spice blend that makes Indian curries and biryanis come to life.
- Roasted cumin powder – check out this one-ingredient spice blend that provides a nutty flavor to any dish it seasons.
- Chaat masala – Zesty, tangy, and salty, chaat masala is the magical spice mix that makes Indian street food irresistible
- Rasam powder – Check out this easy recipe for rasam powder – a zesty, aromatic spice blend from South India that makes rasam (a tangy lentil-based soup) taste so darn good.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Crush the oregano and parsley leaves into a fine powder by rubbing them between the palms of your hands.
- Add all the ingredients to a small mixing bowl and stir until combined.
- Store in an air-tight container for about 6 months.
- You can substitute Chipotle chili powder with chili powder.
- Taco seasoning tastes best with smoked chipotle powder. If you can find it, replace the combination of Chipotle chili powder and smoked paprika with 2 tablespoons of smoked Chipotle chili powder.
Disclaimer: Approximate nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and can vary depending on the exact ingredients/brands used. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist.