Note: This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Do you have an Instant Pot? If yes, you will love making this Indo-Chinese corn soup. All you need to do is pop the ingredients in the Instant Pot and wait patiently as this delicious corn soup cooks in 10 minutes.
“Have you heard of Indo-Chinese cuisine?”, I asked my Chinese neighbor who had recently moved into the neighborhood. She said, “I have no idea what you are talking about”.
I smiled and shared with her that most of my Chinese friends were blissfully unaware of this fusion cuisine, whereas when we were growing up in India in the ’90s, eating Indo-Chinese food was a popular eating-out option with teens (and it still is).
So, what exactly is Indo-Chinese food?
Developed by the Chinese community, who have been living in Kolkata for over a century, the Indo-Chinese style of cooking adapts Chinese seasonings and cooking techniques to create a cuisine that would appeal to the Indian audience. Some of the popular dishes in this fusion cuisine are –
Amongst the soups, Indo-Chinese corn soup and hot and sour soup are the most popular ones. If you are new to this cuisine, this easy one-pot Indo-Chinese corn soup is a good recipe to start with.
Note – Indo-Chinese corn soup should look like the picture below. It has more texture than you see in the picture I posted above. I pureed it more than the recipe calls for because my kids prefer a creamy texture. I have included both pictures so that you could look at the authentic version as well as get a feel of how it would look if it was completely pureed.
How to make Indo-Chinese corn soup?
This recipe comes from Kathy Hester, who blogs at healthyslowcooking.com.
I first met Kathy in Mexico at a food conference and bonded with her over her immense knowledge of Indian food and Instant Pot. She shares her passion and knowledge for Instant Pot in this book – The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook for Your Instant Pot: 80 Easy and Delicious Plant-Based Recipes You Can Make Half the Time.
Other Instant Pot soup recipes you’ll love
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup – A warm, cozy bowl of Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup is just 30 minutes away with this easy vegan recipe. Packed with flavor, this creamy soup is healthy and delicious!
- Chicken Soup – This warm, hearty chicken soup is filling to the last drop!
- Instant Pot Potato Corn Chowder – If you love potatoes and the hearty feeling that comes with devouring them, you’ll love this quick recipe for Instant Pot potato corn chowder.
- Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup (Veg + Gluten-free) – Made from leftover mashed potatoes, there are four good reasons to love this Broccoli cheddar soup recipe – it is gluten-free, vegetarian, tastes just like the Panera version, and needs only 20 minutes when you make it in an Instant Pot!
- One-Pot Tadka Dal – Make this lentil soup in an Instant Pot or a pressure cooker, for a quick and delicious meal ready in no time!
Indo-Chinese Corn Soup Recipe
- 5 cups 1.2 L vegetable broth (or water with a bouillon cube)
- 2 ½ cups 440 g corn kernels
- 1 cup 128 g minced carrot
- 1 cup 89 g minced cabbage
- 1 tbsp 18 g soy sauce
- 2 tsp 9 g sesame oil
- 2 tsp 8 g grated ginger
- 2 tsp 6 g minced garlic
- 1½ tsp 3 g ground cumin
- Ground pepper to taste
- Add the broth, corn, carrot, cabbage, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, garlic and cumin to your Instant Pot.
- Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Blend about 3 cups (700 ml) of the soup to thicken and return to the soup. Taste, add pepper and reseason as needed.
Disclaimer: Approximate nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and can vary depending on the exact ingredients/brands used. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist.